Artificial Strawberry....do You Really Want To Know??!!

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 1:56am by Texas_Rose

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #31 of 49

Is this the carmine beetle? Or maybe its the beetle used to make carmine red? Either way, blech! I am not going to think to much about it but it reminds me of that one skit from SNL in the 80's.

I think it was Dana Carvey who dies and meets God, asks him where stuff was that he lost, what was the most disgusting thing he had ever eaten. God told him he couldn't handle it so he asked for the 127th most disgusting thing (I think it was moth in potatoe salad or something) but you get my drift!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:51am
post #32 of 49

Yup. Carmine is produced from an extract of "scale insects" called cochineal. The dye is most usually labeled as Carmine, Cochineal, Crimson Lake, Natural Red 4, or E120, among other things.

This dye is not permitted by kosher laws and halal laws, and most vegetarians and vegans avoid it as well.

It is, however, natural, so some people who don't do artificial colors will be OK with this....

Then again, most of the colors we use to decorate are petroleum based and that is not so appetizing either. LOL! If anyone knows of kosher, natural colors that work, I'd love to hear about them!!!!!!

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:50am
post #33 of 49

Maybe I shouldn't mention it, but to those of you getting grossed out by all of this:
you also realize that smells are particulate, don't you?

Try not to think of it next time you need to turn the fan on in the bathroom, pass by a cattle yard, etc.
icon_wink.gif

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:51pm
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I have to second the question about keeping flour in the freezer - wouldn't it harden up and be unusable? I've never done it, but that's what I would think about happening...

I have never had a problem with condensation or hardening.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

you guys are making me hungry!!!

LOL!!! This kind of stuff really doesn't bother me!

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #36 of 49

i haven't eaten meat in 40 years but am aware that there are insect chunks in many things. it really doesn't "bug" me.
i have eaten lots of peanut butter sandwichs and i'm sure that "thorax of cockroach" was an ingredient in some of them.
the alternative is to give up peanut butter.
what!!!???!!!!!???!!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Maybe I shouldn't mention it, but to those of you getting grossed out by all of this:

Try not to think of it next time you need to turn the fan on in the bathroom, pass by a cattle yard, etc.
icon_wink.gif

That has always cracked me up. If you can smell it, it's actually in your nose. And on your tongue....hee hee. icon_cool.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_girrl

Why is this thread like a bad wreck...you know the kind you pass and dont want to look but somehow, you are just drawn to it??? LOL, I didn't read the article, this was enough for me. All I can say is..Oh my goodness!!

So true. And this stuff DOES bother me, I am the biggest germ-o-phobe I know. icon_surprised.gif

Quote:
Quote:

jennicita
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why nasty smells always freak me out.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #39 of 49

I had that happen before. Bugs were everywhere in the flour, so now I buy the tiny bag and keep it in the fridge. Also, grits are really bad with the eggs hatching! I keep that in the fridge too.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #40 of 49

When you buy flour, put it in the freezer for 3 days.
Take it out of the original bag - bugs lay eggs in the glue of the paper bags. If put in an airtight container the bugs can't re-infest the flour.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #41 of 49

When you put flour in the freezer it doesn't get hard and it doesn't draw moisture. I just put the bag inside a freezer bag or pour the contents into a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. There shouldn't be any moisture in your flour to begin with, that is what would make it harden.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:21pm
post #42 of 49

Just an FYI, Boyajian makes a natural strawberry flavor that isn't colored, so it must not have bug particles in it (for the color, at least)

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

I think it was Dana Carvey who dies and meets God, asks him where stuff was that he lost, what was the most disgusting thing he had ever eaten. God told him he couldn't handle it so he asked for the 127th most disgusting thing (I think it was moth in potatoe salad or something) but you get my drift!

OT, but I can't believe someone else in the world remembers that skit besides me. I think it was a june bug in potato salad at a picnic. And John Larroquette was the guest star. icon_cool.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

icon_wink.gif

Oh I KNOW. That actually makes me sick to my stomach when I go into a public restroom and there is a bad odor, because you are ingesting the bacteria that made that odor.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #45 of 49

Yesterday I bought a box of Junior Mints to share with the kids. I had forgotten how much I like Junior Mints and so I told the kids about how there's an old story going around that they're made out of bugs, and how it's a little bit true because they've got confectioner's glaze on them. The kids call my bottle of confectioner's glaze bug juice so I knew they wouldn't eat the Junior Mints after that.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Yesterday I bought a box of Junior Mints to share with the kids. I had forgotten how much I like Junior Mints and so I told the kids about how there's an old story going around that they're made out of bugs, and how it's a little bit true because they've got confectioner's glaze on them. The kids call my bottle of confectioner's glaze bug juice so I knew they wouldn't eat the Junior Mints after that.

great idea! now i know how to keep a whole box of candy on my desk at the office undisturbed.
i'm going to tell them that bit o honey is made of camel snot!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

And don't forget about the little bugs that live at the base of your eyelashes!

lol. I can see everyone right now looking in the mirror really closely. i mean really really closely

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #48 of 49

great idea! now i know how to keep a whole box of candy on my desk at the office undisturbed.

ha ha ha you all are making me laugh too hard!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Well, honey is made by bees, the same way confectioner's glaze is made by the lac beetle icon_biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, telling the kids that the Junior Mints had bug juice didn't keep them safe from me. The box is empty now icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%