Artificial Strawberry....do You Really Want To Know??!!

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 1:56am by Texas_Rose

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 49

Okay, all.....my son told me his chemistry teacher told him artificial strawberry flavoring was made from bugs....right. So, I did some research and found that it's not really the flavoring, but the coloring; of most things that are reds, purples, etc. and they most definitely ARE made from dried and ground bugs!!! Here's some info; enjoy your reading! LOL

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/10-quirky-facts-about-mass-produced-food.htm/printable
(Scroll down to #5.)

(Mod edited to replace copyright cut & paste with link.)

There's obviously more to read, but that's the main of it. I thought it was interesting, if not completely disgusting, reading!

48 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 49

Nothing wrong with a little protein,right? icon_lol.gif

If we knew half the stuff that was in processed foods we would all be really skinny! icon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 49

I'm going to be reading some labels next time I go shopping...but hey its not an artificial ingredient so thats good, right!??right?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 49

Don't forget about the colors that we use for our cakes. I try not to think about it though.
If you really want to get grossed out I learned in a Government class that there is a silly law that you are only allowed to have a certain amount of maggots in ketchup. I really really hope that teacher was wrong.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 49

Meh, I'd rather eat bugs than high fructose corn syrup.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 49

The FDA has standards for how many parts of bugs/foreign objects/rodent droppings are acceptable in processed foods. There is weevil larvae in ALL the flour you buy in the grocery store. I once knew a food scientist's adult daughter who immediately put her flour in the freezer after she purchased it to kill the weevil larvae.

Next time you're shopping in the grocery store, pay close attention in the baking aisle, you might see a moth or two fluttering around. That's because they love to lay their eggs in flour. Yes, I learned this the hard way about 10 years ago with a nasty pantry infestation after my favorite grocery store closed and I had to switch to a new one.

So you might say "Ewwwwwww, I'm never buying processed food again!"

So you could grow it yourself, but you're never totally in control. Bugs crawl all over things as they grow. The neighbor's cat could come pee on your carrot garden. Insect infestations are just a fact of life.

The fact is that food is just kinda gross if you think about it too much. Life is not for the squeamish. icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 49

Ok....LOL! This is kind of like the dust mite thing in all of our beds.... gross if you think about it..... ewwww......

Jen icon_smile.gif

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

The FDA has standards for how many parts of bugs/foreign objects/rodent droppings are acceptable in processed foods. There is weevil larvae in ALL the flour you buy in the grocery store. I once knew a food scientist's adult daughter who immediately put her flour in the freezer after she purchased it to kill the weevil larvae.

Next time you're shopping in the grocery store, pay close attention in the baking aisle, you might see a moth or two fluttering around. That's because they love to lay their eggs in flour. Yes, I learned this the hard way about 10 years ago with a nasty pantry infestation after my favorite grocery store closed and I had to switch to a new one.

So you might say "Ewwwwwww, I'm never buying processed food again!"

So you could grow it yourself, but you're never totally in control. Bugs crawl all over things as they grow. The neighbor's cat could come pee on your carrot garden. Insect infestations are just a fact of life.

The fact is that food is just kinda gross if you think about it too much. Life is not for the squeamish. icon_wink.gif

This is why I have ALWAYS put my flour in the Freezer....grew up that way.

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 49

Do you keep the flour in the freezer at all times? Just bought 10 lb bag of King Arthur from the wharehouse store. Into the freezer it goes. OOps got to break it down or find large freezer bags.
Thanks,Karen

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 49

i guess my family isn't vegetarian after all !

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjc

Do you keep the flour in the freezer at all times? Just bought 10 lb bag of King Arthur from the wharehouse store. Into the freezer it goes. OOps got to break it down or find large freezer bags.
Thanks,Karen

I keep it in there all the time

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 49

If you girls are putting flour in the freezer, how do you prevent condensation issue?

Thanks..

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 49

If you really want to be bug free, look for food coloring with kosher certification. Those that keep kosher can't eat bugs, so the dyes aren't bug-based.

In terms of flour- due to kosher laws, I sift the flour before use with a very-fine mesh sifter (you'd be surprised what's in flour!) and then keep it in the freezer.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 49

All foods and chocolates and candy have bug particles-the FDA even has regulations on how much. Gross, but it never hurt you before you knew it!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 49

LMAO... I always find it funny when things like this pop up. If you never knew you'd never care so why start now? It's like not knowing about the amount of "germs" you come into contact with on everyday items. Nothing in life is sterile... we eat poo and bugs... facts of life.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 49

Yeah, I don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss and so forth.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #17 of 49

Yeah, that same bug is used to make lipstick red. Almost all of the true red lipsticks have bug bits in them.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Yeah, that same bug is used to make lipstick red. Almost all of the true red lipsticks have bug bits in them.

OH MY GOD icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 49

...and all the iridescent makeup has ground up fish scale.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #20 of 49

you guys are making me hungry!!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #21 of 49

i buy 25lb bags of flour from sams. then i pour them into a large tightly sealed bucket. So a couple of months ago i got a bag of bread flour. Its for my home kitchen not my cake kitchen. I haven;t made any bread for a while and decided to make some this weekend, opened the bucket and it was crawling!!!!! so are you saying that the weavils are already in the flour? i threw the whole lot out, it was disgusting. is there any way to prevent them?. im not sure i can get a bucket that size in my freezer. i was so ticked, i really fancied some homemade bread sticks.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #22 of 49

I have to second the question about keeping flour in the freezer - wouldn't it harden up and be unusable? I've never done it, but that's what I would think about happening...

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #23 of 49

Supposedly you only have to keep it in there for 72 hours to kill the larvae. I've never had a problem with condensation, or hardening.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #24 of 49

Thought of this thread today when I was jogging outside and swallowed a bug. I guess it's just more protein. icon_lol.gif

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #25 of 49

Y'all are so amusing! Haha! But I agree, ignorance is bliss. Just eat and be merry! Although, I am kind of glad that my son and I can't have much red 40! Just a couple bugs we won't eat in our lives!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #26 of 49

And don't forget about the little bugs that live at the base of your eyelashes!

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #27 of 49

Why is this thread like a bad wreck...you know the kind you pass and dont want to look but somehow, you are just drawn to it??? LOL, I didn't read the article, this was enough for me. All I can say is..Oh my goodness!!

I have kept flour in the freezer before, and I have never had a issue with condensation or hardening of it. I have however, had freezer odors get in it if it stays too long.

Bugs in eyelashes??? Seriously? Nevermind, I really don't want any other information . LOL

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #28 of 49

Yes, that's true countrygirl. We all have tiny microscopic bugs that crawl all over our skin, eat the dead cells, etc. They are on the eyelashes too!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #29 of 49

Image Doesn't bug me! icon_lol.gif

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #30 of 49

Yeah they taught us this in art class... along with the dangers of Lead in red lipstick (even though its at a safe level of lead??)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%