Crooked Cake

Decorating By mickey35 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 1:13am by Kitagrl

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 9

I have the same reoccuring problem, a crooked cake. I placed the dowels in the cake to measure the depth and then cut. However I get the same results, some parts are high and the cake appears to be slant on one side. Am I miscalculating the dowel measurements or am I using the wrong tool to cut? Please help, I want a more professional look like the cakes on CC.

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 9

I use bubble tea straws instead of dowels....but either way...

I just measure one dowel in the deepest part of the cake (generally the middle) and then cut them all the same size. That way if you have a part of the cake that is too low, the dowels will all be the same size and you can then build up some icing or something, add a wax paper circle and a bit more icing on top, and stack your tier. Then you can seal the edges with another pipe of buttercream and smooth it with your finger (works best if cake is very cold.)

TheSugaredBouquet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugaredBouquet Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 9

Definitely measure only one dowel in the highest part of the cake and cut all the others to the same measurement, you can compensate with a border or something if need be but this will ensure that the top tier is level.

mickey35 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both Kitagrl and Thesugaredbouquet. I guess my missing step was colding the cake and measuring from the deepest part of the cake. Thank you I will this next time. thumbs_up.gif

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:40am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey35

Thank you both Kitagrl and Thesugaredbouquet. I guess my missing step was colding the cake and measuring from the deepest part of the cake. Thank you I will this next time. thumbs_up.gif

I also want to add that you may want to look into bubble tea straws. I had been using dowels for years and I just switched to bubble tea straws. SOOOOOO much easier!!!

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 9

I second the bubble tea straws! you can get them on ebay.... love them. Or just plain drinking straws. Straws are soooo much easier to cut....I think I've only used dowels once ever.

mickey35 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

Wow, where can I purchase bubble tree straws? And would you use the same straws for a three tier wedding cake?

mickey35 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, I've just notice that one of my questions was already answered. Ebay got it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:13am
post #9 of 9

I think the Bubble Tea straws may even be better than dowels b/c they are easier to cut level, and they are actually a wider surface area so they will not shift quite as easily as the dowels.

I get mine locally, at "The Restaurant Store".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%