Does Anyone Know Anyhting About A Certain Business Plan?

Decorating By erilay Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm by awhaley

erilay Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #1 of 17

I am getting emails from a Vondre and Andreatta Whaley. They call themselves the cake couple, and offer advice on starting your at home cake business. She also includes some recipes and techniques. I am a bit worried only because I got the suggestion to give free cupcakes with an order as a thank you from a free tip she sent me. I got such shocked feedback when I posted this on a thread. I also did not get a great response from the customer that received them because she wished there were more of them???
To me it sounded like a nice gesture and a good way to get them to try another type of cake. I feel like it does not coast me that much and if they are spending a lot on a cake it is just an nice bonus like getting free shipping with an order over 100 dollars.
I did not have anything good come from it though so probably will never do that again.
Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone has bought their e-videos, or heard anything about them?
Also if anyone knows of another plan, video, or web site that would be good to take a look at I would greatly appreciate it.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much to all the talented people that dedicate so much time to helping others improve themselves.

16 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #2 of 17

I was getting their emails for awhile but then unsubscribed because the info was not helpful and it just seemed like they were pushing you to buy their stuff.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 17

I have never heard of them but I kinda remember the thread about the cupcakes. Personally I think the customer just had to be joking as I don't think that anyone would be upset by not getting enough freebies, or would they??? In any case maybe it was just that customer and you could try it with another.

costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 17

This just sounds like a semi-scam, where they sell you information that's freely available in other places. I remember the free cupcake thing, and anyone who would tell people to give away free products when the profit margin is so small to begin with is an idiot. It's one thing to give away a key chain with the purchase of a new car, but to basically give away the same amount of product as a thank-you for buying the first amount is just bad business advice.

Nobody sends unsolicited emails to be helpful, they want to sell you something. Just keep asking questions here and go to the library and get books on starting a business if you want to learn things without paying for it.

kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 17

They've been around for several yrs that I know of.
Ditto what pattycakesnj said.

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 17

I was one who took erilay to task for giving away the cupcakes for the reasons costumeczar just mentioned.

Some customers might like it, but I think it can give an impression of desperation instead of generosity. It can just as easily be interpreted as, "I don't have confidence in the quality of my product, so I'm going to bombard you with quantity so if you don't like the quality, maybe you'll excuse that because at least you got a lot of it for the money."

Please understand, I'm not suggesting that's what erilay thought, but I do think customers wonder what's going on when you give them way more than they requested. And besides that, a first time customer doesn't deserve this kind of consideration. I have a lady who has ordered about ten large cakes from me, always tips me hugely, and recommends me to others. She is the one who gets a couple dozen cupcakes at Christmas as a "thank you" from me.

erilay Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 17

They are a bit pushy with buying products. They are obviously tiring to make money. I am just wondering if it is worth the money. I like the library idea. Did no think of that. I don't think they will have cake business stuff, but I am sure they will have starting an at home business book or maybe 100! icon_smile.gif
Ruth I also like giving away cupcakes to the woman who helps you out and orders from you regularly. Great advice. I only sent 5 cupcakes, but still that could be anywhere from $7.50 - $15 - whatever anyone charges. It is dumb when I think about it. I was just trying to get repeat business following this womans' advice. She also suggested sending the cake with a balloon if not the cupcakes and a card. I thought the balloon sounded ridiculous. They are at a party and I am sure it is decorated the way they want it to be decorated.

Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 17

Oh, no, it wasn't dumb, especially when a so-called professional suggests it. We all look for ways to generate business. Some stuff works and some doesn't. When we're new it's hard to know. Heck, I just launched a budget-friendly cake option today at a wedding show. It may be good - it may be a loser. It looks good on paper, but we'll see...

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 17

What I do is send a small wrapped bag of cake truffles (maybe 4) with all my orders. This gives the customer a little something extra but mainly, gets someone unfamiliar with my cakeballs to give them a try.

This has generated business, not just for repeat cake orders but new orders for the truffles (balls, whatever.......every single time I call them cakeballs, you will hear one of my kids say 'You said balls!').

Anyway, hope that helps. btw, I have never heard of these people.....

Lenette Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 17

I have heard of them, never bought anything though. You will get much better info reading here on CC in the business section. There is a ton of stuff on marketing etc.

I don't think it was dumb. We all have to try things, throw something at the wall and see what sticks. It is all trial and error. I have tried things that have done wonders for others and nothing for me.

You just have to feel your way through and see what works for your business. I do think that the particular customer you referred to was just ungrateful. Some folks are never satisfied, I would just chalk it up to that. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 17

Never heard of them.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Never heard of them.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Ditto! But I did hear about the free cupcake fiasco!

lilthorner Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 17

i get their emails and I actually have some of their stuff. they are geared more towards marketing than anything. they do sell some recipes, and call them the "best (insert product name here) recipe"

some of their marketing tips are good, some not so much.. I didn't really consider them "pushy" they are trying to make money.. they send alot of emails though, so i guess that would be considered pushy.. i just don't read the subject and then read the email if i want to, delete if I dont

cylstrial Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #14 of 17

[quote="lilthorner"
i just don't read the subject and then read the email if i want to, delete if I dont[/quote]

That's me with every email!

OfficerMorgan Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #15 of 17

Ugh this reminds me of a super annoying guy who keeps sending me emails to buy his wedding cake business crap. I think his name is Chris Evans, and I get an annoying email about once a week. Ignore stuff like this.

prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #16 of 17

Never heard of them. Would most likely have dumped them straight to the spam folder if they'd ever emailed me.

awhaley Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 17

Hello Cake Friends,

I'm sure if you are here, you love baking cakes.

Vondre' and I love baking cakes as well.

That's why we give away a ton of free information.

Sure, we sell a few products, but the information that we share is pretty good.

I suggest, you judge for yourself.

Our blog is located at http://www.sellingcakes.com

You can also get our free cake book at http://www.freecakebook.com

It's amazing that people use words such as "scam" when talking about us, even though they've never purchased our products or spent any time communicating with us.

We've been around since the year 2000 and have many satisfied customers and friends because of our cake sites.

Either way, keep baking and I hope you continue learning the art of cake baking and decorating.

Happy Baking!

Andreaetta and Vondre'
"The Cake Couple"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%