How To Make Nfsc Taste A Bit Better? Add Creme Bouquet?

Baking By CakeDiva73 Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm by bobwonderbuns

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know what we can add to make this taste better? I've found if I eliminate the bp, they don't lose their shape so the dough handles beautifully but tastes a bit......well, blech.

I'm not really a fan of almond so I have just been doing vanilla and I even tried Nordic Cream (kind of like creamsickle flavoring) but it doesn't taste right. I'm not sure if the lemon is the way to go, what about Cream Bouquet?

Also, can we lose 1/2 c. of the flour and replace with dutch process cocoa to make it chocolate? I think I read that somewhere but wasn't sure if I needed to compensate with liquid since chocolate tends to dry, etc. thanks

12 replies
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 13

I add CB to all of my NFSC dough, a little goes a long way, but it add a nice underlying flavor, it has lemon in it for sure, but it doesn't make mine taste lemony, I usually add that and a little tiny bit of almond or vanilla, just depends,

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, I've used Princess Bouquet which gives it a hint of lemon and it gets raves. I also have subbed in cocoa for some of the flour. I think I only did 1/2 batch so I used 1/4c. It was really good, used all vanilla extract in that. I'm also a big believer in only using real butter and no imitation flavoring. Everyone loves the taste of my cookies and I always use NFSC.

CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 13

great, thanks! Can't wait to try it icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 13

great, thanks! Can't wait to try it icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 13

Real vanilla is my flavoring of choice.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 13

Sometimes I add cardamon. Sometimes fresh orange zest. Sometimes some vanilla bean along with my pure vanilla extract. Or all the above for a real twist.

It depends on if I want plain standard vanilla sugar cookies, or sugar cookies with a twist of extra back notes of flavor.

I get easily bored with the same-o same-o "vanilla"...and with 7 grandkids (most in school and/or sports & always having parties or something), I ALWAYS have something baked or ready to bake. Mixing it up on a always have on hand cookie dough is often crucial. lol.

Think outside the liquid flavorings box & play with some baking spices, mix it up, make them your own. I make half batches when I decide to play with flavor, then if I like it..next time I make a full batch & freeze when I need to. icon_wink.gif

I also want to try mascarpone (sp?) cheese in a batch. Italian Sugar Cookies? Not sure about adding MC though. lol.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 13

Instead of the vanilla I add orange flavoring. They taste really good that way.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #9 of 13

I use lemon emulsion and also use it in my RI.. yummy!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #10 of 13

I haven't tried this particular cookie recipe, but the one I use is just a plain rolled cookie dough and I add either orange oil, lemon oil, extra Vanilla flavoring, pumpkin pie spice, etc. I love playing with different flavor combos! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Does anyone know what we can add to make this taste better? I've found if I eliminate the bp, they don't lose their shape so the dough handles beautifully but tastes a bit......well, blech.

I'm not really a fan of almond so I have just been doing vanilla and I even tried Nordic Cream (kind of like creamsickle flavoring) but it doesn't taste right. I'm not sure if the lemon is the way to go, what about Cream Bouquet?

Also, can we lose 1/2 c. of the flour and replace with dutch process cocoa to make it chocolate? I think I read that somewhere but wasn't sure if I needed to compensate with liquid since chocolate tends to dry, etc. thanks

For a totally different flavor, add maple extract. I thought it tasted wonderful (but those who don't like syrup on their pancakes is going to have a different opinion).

For chocolate cookies, I add unsweetened, premelted baking chocolate to the dough. I use a recipe that makes about half what the NFSC recipe makes, and I add 3 oz. (3 packets) of the chocolate without changing anyting else in the recipe. YUMMM!

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I haven't tried this particular cookie recipe, but the one I use is just a plain rolled cookie dough and I add either orange oil, lemon oil, extra Vanilla flavoring, pumpkin pie spice, etc. I love playing with different flavor combos! icon_biggrin.gif

Pumpkin pie spice! How much? Going to try my hand at the pumpkin pie cookie and would love for them to taste like pumpkin pie.Could you maybe even add it to glace?[/quote]

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 13

I'm not a fan of the glace icings at all so I don't use them. When adding pumpkin pie spice to a cookie dough I would start with 1 tsp and then taste it. If it needs more add more (I wouldn't add more than 1 TBSP for the entire batch and that's a lot.) Take notes so you know how much to add in the future. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%