Any Ideas For Cookie Favors For My Daughter's Wedding?

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 9:57am by Phyllis52

Phyllis52 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 17

I'm trying to think of cookie favors for my daughter's wedding in September and I saw Martha Stewart doing these cookie cakes. Has anyone done these and are they a pain to do?

Or should I just get edible images of maybe a monogram to put on the cookies. I wanted to do something with a little "extra". Gumpaste flowers, dragees?

Any help would be appreciated. My brain is starting to hurt...

icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

16 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 17

If you wanted to do a unique cookie cake, they have the weddding cutter impression mat kit to use with fondant and each tier has a different impression. They have been out the last two times I was at the cake store but it looks very cute!

Here is a link to see them:

http://www.fancyflours.com/cgi-bin/fancyflours/4200-TS-WC-1.html

prettysweet Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 17

If you are looking at Fancy Flours for the cake layer impression mats, look at their wafer paper designs for weddings. I've used them for bridal shower cookies.

Phyllis52 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 17

Love the Fancy Flour website. The impression mats look pretty, do you think I can add a flower to that? I bought a silicone mold and now it's so easy to do flowers, I'd love to add one!

Also, I love the edible images, but I didn't notice many for weddings. . I liked the vintage ones, but there were too many cupids on it, the bridge and groom were lovely. Can anyone recommend another site I can go to for that?

Thanks, guys, so much for your help.

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 17

Hi Phyllis,
i have done cookies decorated with regalice (fondant) - impression mats and flowers for both birthdays and weddings....
If you wish to have alook, there is a plate of white ones on the first page of my photos - about 3rd line down - plus there is a pink one, heart shape next to a pink shower cake.
Just to give you some ideas - they look pretty in little cellophane bags with co-ordinating ribbon.

HTH with an idea.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Phyllis52 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 17

Bluehue,

Just checked out your photos - beautiful! You were right about the impression mat, what a difference - what kind of fondant do you use? Do you make your own? I've used Satin Ice in the past, unless you use something better.
Thanks
Phyllis

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 17

Thankyou -

i use Renshaws Regalice that comes in to Australia from the UK.
So smooth and great elasticity...

However - roll and kneed your Fondant well, then roll it out, and allow to sit for about 5 minutes, that way it firms up just a little on the top surface - then use an impression mat and voula - your impression will be deep and keep its shape....then cut out your shapes using your cookie cutter.

Nothing toooo scientific - lol lol
Just preactise - icon_wink.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 17

I have done some cookie cakes, but not for a wedding. I think they are easy to do. They would just be time consuming if you are planning to do a good many of them.

verono Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

I'm trying to think of cookie favors for my daughter's wedding in September and I saw Martha Stewart doing these cookie cakes. Has anyone done these and are they a pain to do?

Or should I just get edible images of maybe a monogram to put on the cookies. I wanted to do something with a little "extra". Gumpaste flowers, dragees?

Any help would be appreciated. My brain is starting to hurt...

icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

I did a similiar weddind favor... but instead of 8 cookies it was 6.. I have made 100... They look sooo easy when you only have a few... But it takes so much time to do ! 100 X 6 = 600 cookies..! If you are not commercially epquiped, think about it..

pattycakesnj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 17

I recently did cookies for wedding favors in the shape of a wedding cake with fondant flowers and the bride and grooms monogram stenciled on the bottom tier. They are in my photos, sorry don't know how to link

Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #11 of 17

What do you use to attach the fondant to the cookie? And what do you do with the fondant edges?

As far as wedding cookies, I've seen some really cute flat cake shaped ones where you just put some little RI swags and some dragees or something on them, and little shell borders and they look really cute, and less work than actually stacking cookies into a mini cake.

andpotts Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #12 of 17

I just love those Martha Stewart cookie cakes and am hoping for an occasion to do some. I know they are a lot of work, but I think the result is so worth it. How many did you want to do and do you have any friends you could have help, since they are simpy iced that is something I would think you could trust helpers with. You can bake as much as you can ahead of time and make your flowers or whatever, I think if you split the work up it wouldn't be that bad. I just love the way theu look in those boxes. Here are some of my favorite pics done by other CC members.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Phyllis52 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 17

andpotts -

Thanks so much for the pictures - I really would love to go that way. I notice that there are different heights and shapes and still they are beautiful. I have lots of friends to help me do these, I'll need about 150 (I figure one each guest).

To me these seem easier, just ice or marsh. fondant and put together. A bunch of us can do it quick I think. (I hope).

When I was looking at boxes, though, I couldn't find ones that are like in the picture (bride one with gold background). I could only find boxes that drop in the cake and I don't think that will work.

Could you tell me who did this and how I can contact them?

I really appreciate your help thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

What do you use to attach the fondant to the cookie? And what do you do with the fondant edges?

If you are just talking about fondant on normal cookies - then i make up a batch of sugar syrup -

1 cup water to 1 cup of caster sugar - bring to the boil - turn heat down - simmer and stir for about 3 minutes - take of heat - allow to cool and transfer into a sterilized jar - keeps in fridge for 10 days.
When i need some i just pour a little into a dish - so as not to contaminate the big jar with bits of cookie/regalice (fondant)

I just use a very thin paint brush (from cake suppliers) to dab the sugar syrup onto the cookies - then place my regalice cut out on top - run my *clean* finger around the edge to smooth the edges.

Voula - covered cookies. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

tatorchip Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 17

Bluehue, I wish I would have seen your plate of wedding cookies about two weeks ago, that would have been perfect. Oh well now I know and btw your cookies are to die for love them they are beautiful

andpotts Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 17

Hi! I put each of the respective decorators CC name in their pic description if you wanna contact any of them, but I was obsessed with these cookie cakes a while back and followed all of the threads about them, here are the sites I saved that were highly recommended for buying the different boxes. Best of luck, I hope you do them and I can add your pictures to my favorites icon_smile.gif Make sure to PM me if you do so I don't miss them thumbs_up.gif Andrea

http://www.creativebag.com/boxes-and-containers/clear-plastic-boxes/clear-plastic-boxes.html

http://www.loopcreations.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/298.html

http://www.durapak.net/pvc-box-tuck.htm#tuck

http://usbox.com/Boxes/plasticboxes

Phyllis52 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:57am
post #17 of 17

andpotts,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

So far the first website is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll be seeing my daughter this weekend and I'll let you know what she thinks. I've been baking and making the flowers so by Saturday I should have them put together.

I definitely will let you know how they turn out.

Thanks again.
Phyllis
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%