Cookies For Kindergartners

Baking By jab2004 Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 1:24am by djs328

jab2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab2004 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

I have been volunteered to make 4 dozen cookies for the kindergartners to "decorate" with edible markers. I am going to use the NFSC recipe but what should I use to "coat" them so they can write on them?

Thanks

4 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 5

I would just flood them with a nice even layer of royal icing, let dry at least overnight and they'll have a nice smooth surface for decorating. Or you could use fondant, I'm not a fan myself and my kids dont like the chewy texture but the same thing, cut the fondant with the same cookie cutter,have it ready and after the cookies are out of the oven, let cool a couple minutes but while still warm, lay the fondant on and it will stick just fine. Have fun, sounds like a project the kids will really enjoy.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 5

RI or Glace, both will work great, like bbmom said Kids I bake for don't like fondant and the rolled buttercream is is too oily. Good luck, I've done this before and the kids dig it! I advise usong a little bigger cookie cutters, they like to draw pictures on them icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

Antonia's icing works great for using with food markers.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Antonia's icing works great for using with food markers.

Yup...I use it all the time and write with the markers on it...just let that icing harden for a good long time (overnight?) before trying to write on it - especially the kids will be pressing harder than most of us would, so you don't want it to crack...
Another thought: what about painting the cookies with watered down Americolor or Wilton gels, like water colors? Might work well, also...
Good luck! I'm sure the kids will have a blast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%