Lets Change The Tune Of Today/tonight.

Lounge By Bluehue Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 1:01pm by redheadfairy2003

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 10090

So, whilst some are feeling *fragile* and some are truely suffering real pain...can the tune of the board swing back around to more softer/cake tones - so as those in need of a smile recieve one?

I'll start ...... icon_biggrin.gif


Double Chocolate Gateau .....3 layers - with white Ganache filling -Milk choolate poured over the top and chocolate curls on top.......thats what i have been asked to make for a special someone.

Never made a true Gateau before - so like anything we do for the first time - i shall view it as an adventure.

Any and all *cake* hints i should take with me into my kitchen are welcome....
And if you don't have a Cake hint - what is on your aganda for this day?

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

10,089 replies
SJ169 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 10090
Quote:
Quote:

Double Chocolate Gateau .....3 layers - with white Ganache filling -Milk choolate poured over the top and chocolate curls on top.




mmmm that sounds soo yummy!!

I dont have much planned for today, i am currently working (sort of) lol, then i have to do my weekly grocery shop later and start baking tonight icon_smile.gif

Have a great day icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 10090

No cake hints but I am manning the chocolate fountain today at my Boss' daughter's wedding.

chocolate chocolate chocolate--mmmm

I volunteered. So she said, "Oh I couldn't ask you to do that".
Sweat beads start popping out on my forehead. please please

Dude this is c.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e we're talking about at a three hour reception--nobody has to ask! Dude, I'm in!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

What's a true gateau? A genoise?

bcake1960 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 10090

No hints here either... sounds Yummy I am going to my Cake Bible and look it up... Good luck with your challenge... As for me I am making Sugar cookies.. Halloween decorated. Im going to use "The Worlds Best Sugar Cookie" recipe from here.. Unless anyone has something better... Im Up for trying a new recipe too..
Have a fun Day!!

bbmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 10090

No hints, just wanted to say hi. Kids have been home all week with the flu. I am catching up on laundry and other housework. Cant wait to get everyone healthy and sanitized and get back into the kitchen!

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 10090

SJ169 - LOL, it sounds overly rich to me - (give me crackers and cheese any day) thumbs_up.gif

K8memphis- 3 hours at a chocolate fountain icon_surprised.gif
Your one brave lady Kate - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Braver than me thumbs_up.gif
Thats a he!! of a lot of c.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e.
I have to stand up and admit - I AM NOT A CHOCAHOLIC icon_redface.gif ... icon_lol.gif
Will go grab the recipe and come back and post it cake buddy - icon_biggrin.gif

bcake1960 i was using the NFSC recipe but then decided to try something diggerent, so when i found the Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe on here - (sorry, i forget who posted it) - my customers have raved about it.
I roll, cut shapes out, pop in fridge for 5 minutes then into the oven -
No complaints from this end.... thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

bcake1960 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 10090

Sounds Yummy Bluehue... will have to try to find that one... Thanks for the suggestion... icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 10090

You want this thread to be a happy one so I can't tell what I'm doing today icon_sad.gif

Oh, I might bake up a green tomato cake or bread. Have more green tomatoes than I can use up icon_sad.gif

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 10090

bbmom - i can imagine the l o n g week you have had - icon_sad.gif
No doubt the kitchen/baking will be light relief for you when everyone is healthy and sanitized (thats cute) again. icon_smile.gif


THE RECIPE.

Double Chocolate Gateau

Ingredients
230g8oz margarine or softened butter
230g8oz soft brown sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
230g8oz self-raising flour
60g2oz cocoa powder
2-3 tbsp milk...Aust 1 Tblsp = 20 ml / USA 1 Tblsp = 15 ml


Filling
250ml9fl oz whipping cream, for filling
230g8oz white chocolate pieces, for filling

For icing:
115g4oz butter, or margarine
115ml3fl oz double cream
350g12oz plain chocolate pieces

Chocolate curls for decoration
One greased and base-lined 8in/20cm deep round cake tin
________________________________________
Make the double chocolate gateau filling first. Chop the white chocolate into very small pieces and gently heating the cream in a small saucepan. Add the finely chopped white chocolate to the cream in the pan and, without letting the cream boil, stir for about ten to fifteen seconds until the chocolate has just melted.
Pour into a bowl or small jug and allow to cool before chilling for about two hours. Gently whisk until the cream and chocolate filling just forms soft peaks.
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C, 350 deg F, Gas Mark 4.

Beat the butter, or margarine, with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Slowly and gently, beat in the eggs, alternating with a little flour to prevent splitting. Sift in the remaining flour and cocoa powder, and carefully fold into the mixture. It should form a soft dropping consistency it should just drop from a spoon when tapped on the side of the bowl. Add a little milk if the cake mixture is too dry.

Transfer to the prepared cake tin and place in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes. Test towards the end of the baking time by pushing a skewer, or similar, into the centre of the cake. It will come out clean when the chocolate cake is cooked.

Place on a wire rack and leave in the tin to cool for 5-10 minutes. Turn out carefully and leave on the rack to cool completely before finishing.
When cool, carefully slice the cake into three equal layers. Use the chilled, whipped white chocolate filling to sandwich the layers together.
Melt the plain chocolate in a bowl over hot water. Add the butter and cream and stir gently to form a smooth icing. Allow to cool a little and then spread over the top and sides of the layered sponge cake, smoothing with a pallet knife.

For the final addition, decorate by sprinkling chocolate curls.
Serve your double chocolate gateau with whipped cream to enjoy the ultimate chocolate luxury

Chocolatey enough for you Kate? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

No cake hints but I am manning the chocolate fountain today at my Boss' daughter's wedding.

chocolate chocolate chocolate--mmmm

I volunteered. So she said, "Oh I couldn't ask you to do that".
Sweat beads start popping out on my forehead. please please

Dude this is c.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e we're talking about at a three hour reception--nobody has to ask! Dude, I'm in!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

What's a true gateau? A genoise?




I think you need help so I'll show up and help (eat) help you with the chocolate. I don't mine really icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 10090

bcake1960 - i have just posted the recipe ^^^^. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi - you can tell - but lets keep it real - thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 10090

tatorchip - LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Hang on, first come over and make my DCG - then i can do some ironing -seriously, i don't mind ironing, if you want to play with chocolate - icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

PianoDiva Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 10090

I think that volunteering for the chocolate fondue at the wedding has to (bad pun coming) take the cake! What I'm doing today is taking lemons and making lemonade . . .

. . . meaning that my ten-year-old got grounded for a week so she and I are stuck home for the weekend while DH and our seven-year-old go pumpkin picking. I thought this'd be a great time for my ten-year-old to help me get my holiday baking started, so when I get home from the funeral Mass I have to perform at (nobody I knew,thank goodness) we're going to make a big mess in the kitchen! icon_smile.gif

--PianoDiva

KKristy Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 10090

You people are so much fun ! You always put a smile on my face !

Bluehue - that sounds sooo good...do you need taste testers, LOL !
bbmom - good to hear that everyone is feeling better - that flu is nasty...hope you get back in the kitchen soon !
K8Memphis- You better not get caught sticking your tongue in that chocoate fountain !!

No hints....today I'm trying to experiment with different pumpkin muffin recipes....I want one that has a crumb topping, is moist and sweet....wish me luck !

Hope everyone has a fabulous day !

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 10090

Just put into the ovens three layers, a 10, 11, and 12. Lesson learned is that even a 6qt KA can't handle a 3-box WASC, or rather, can't handle it neatly!! What a mess!!

Going to prep these three layers for a largish tapered single-tier cake, then freeze them. Can't decide yet if I will make the top slanted. I started to do a 3-tiered cake, smaller layers, all tapered. But I'll be short on time between now and when the cake is needed, so I thought I better simplify.

This is my first time for tapered cakes. Never carved at all before.

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 10090

Bluehue icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 10090

I would love to help you with anything I will be on the next flight, oh no I don't have a passport, I'll get it on Monday lol

cakegrandma Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 10090

Since everybody is posting what they are doing today I just wanted to post about my Wonderful Week and Great Day icon_smile.gif . I finally got my license for my cake business on Tuesday, so I can start it down here now. I had lost a scone recipe that I had tried and loved and finally found it this week and I got 2 cake orders plus an order for croissant bread pudding with Amoretto sauce for this coming week. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif . I am so thrilled with this! Now if I can get this business going then hopefully I will be able to quit my job and instead of baking of a place I can actually open my own location within the year. Wish me luck please.
evelyn

jammjenks Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #19 of 10090

We have a dinner at church tonight, so I'm making a chocolate trifle dessert. I'm such a nerd that I took a picture of the last one I did. Anyone need a spoon?
LL

Memie Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 10090

No hints from me either. I'm making pine cone firestarters and hanging out with my poor dog today. She spent the last 3 days at the vet and I'm soooo happy to have her home.

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #21 of 10090

KKristy, good luck on your pumpkin muffins! A couple of years ago I worked slavishly to create what I thought was the best recipe in the world. How it came about is a long story, and of course, I'm gonna tell it!

I love my firstborn. So very much. I love to bake for him and I love it that he thinks I'm the best baker in the world. Well, a couple of years ago, about this time of year actually, we were deep into our every Sunday morning telephone conversation when he said to me, "Mama, yesterday I had the best pumpkin muffin I ever tasted." Stunned silence. WTH??? My mind was screaming, "Young man, you do NOT talk to YOUR MOTHER like that!!" But my mouth said, "Really? Where did you get it and what was it like?", all the while thinking if I could just get ahold of his ear, I'd twist the livin' daylights out of it, the little ingrate.

His answer was, "Star Bucks. It had cream cheese filling and was just right spicy and had crunchy stuff on top." We apparently finished out the conversation, but I don't remember another thing said. All I wanted was revenge. The second we hung up, I called our local Star Bucks and asked, rather snottily, "Ya got any of those pumpkin muffins up there? Yeah? Bag 'em up, I'll be up there in a minute. Yes, all of them."

Small town. Off I went in my car, still in my jammies, snatched the bag out of her hand and and took a bite. Pfff. I knew I could do better. So the next few weeks were spent perfecting The Recipe.

When the kids all showed up for Thanksgiving, I disappeared and returned with a large tray of pumpkin muffins, and announced to my firstborn, "NO, son, THESE are the best pumpkin muffins you ever had!" He instantly recognized his transgression and we had a big laugh over it. He gets those muffins every Thanksgiving and Christmas now. They are a royal pain to make, but they are so worth it.

Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 10090

jammjenks - yep, got the spoon, just pass me the servette please - lol lol
cakegrandma icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif What wonderful news - CONGRATULATIONS -
I think you are having the best day so far - well you and Kate...i guess being in charge of a chocolate fountain is huge - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
grandmom icon_eek.gif yes, that sounds like a right mess - thinking of you as you carve away - best of luck thumbs_up.gif ...
KKristy lol - you can come and stand in the kitchen whilst tatorchip mixes it thumbs_up.gif
tatorchip fresh sheets being put on spare bed as we speak - ANDDDD Australian Cake Design/Wedding mags being placed on bed side table - (bit of light reading for you) icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

KKristy, good luck on your pumpkin muffins! A couple of years ago I worked slavishly to create what I thought was the best recipe in the world. How it came about is a long story, and of course, I'm gonna tell it!

I love my firstborn. So very much. I love to bake for him and I love it that he thinks I'm the best baker in the world. Well, a couple of years ago, about this time of year actually, we were deep into our every Sunday morning telephone conversation when he said to me, "Mama, yesterday I had the best pumpkin muffin I ever tasted." Stunned silence. WTH??? My mind was screaming, "Young man, you do NOT talk to YOUR MOTHER like that!!" But my mouth said, "Really? Where did you get it and what was it like?", all the while thinking if I could just get ahold of his ear, I'd twist the livin' daylights out of it, the little ingrate.

His answer was, "Star Bucks. It had cream cheese filling and was just right spicy and had crunchy stuff on top." We apparently finished out the conversation, but I don't remember another thing said. All I wanted was revenge. The second we hung up, I called our local Star Bucks and asked, rather snottily, "Ya got any of those pumpkin muffins up there? Yeah? Bag 'em up, I'll be up there in a minute. Yes, all of them."

Small town. Off I went in my car, still in my jammies, snatched the bag out of her hand and and took a bite. Pfff. I knew I could do better. So the next few weeks were spent perfecting The Recipe.

When the kids all showed up for Thanksgiving, I disappeared and returned with a large tray of pumpkin muffins, and announced to my firstborn, "NO, son, THESE are the best pumpkin muffins you ever had!" He instantly recognized his transgression and we had a big laugh over it. He gets those muffins every Thanksgiving and Christmas now. They are a royal pain to make, but they are so worth it.


lol that sounds like something I would do love that story

jammjenks Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #24 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

KKristy, good luck on your pumpkin muffins! A couple of years ago I worked slavishly to create what I thought was the best recipe in the world. How it came about is a long story, and of course, I'm gonna tell it!

I love my firstborn. So very much. I love to bake for him and I love it that he thinks I'm the best baker in the world. Well, a couple of years ago, about this time of year actually, we were deep into our every Sunday morning telephone conversation when he said to me, "Mama, yesterday I had the best pumpkin muffin I ever tasted." Stunned silence. WTH??? My mind was screaming, "Young man, you do NOT talk to YOUR MOTHER like that!!" But my mouth said, "Really? Where did you get it and what was it like?", all the while thinking if I could just get ahold of his ear, I'd twist the livin' daylights out of it, the little ingrate.

His answer was, "Star Bucks. It had cream cheese filling and was just right spicy and had crunchy stuff on top." We apparently finished out the conversation, but I don't remember another thing said. All I wanted was revenge. The second we hung up, I called our local Star Bucks and asked, rather snottily, "Ya got any of those pumpkin muffins up there? Yeah? Bag 'em up, I'll be up there in a minute. Yes, all of them."

Small town. Off I went in my car, still in my jammies, snatched the bag out of her hand and and took a bite. Pfff. I knew I could do better. So the next few weeks were spent perfecting The Recipe.

When the kids all showed up for Thanksgiving, I disappeared and returned with a large tray of pumpkin muffins, and announced to my firstborn, "NO, son, THESE are the best pumpkin muffins you ever had!" He instantly recognized his transgression and we had a big laugh over it. He gets those muffins every Thanksgiving and Christmas now. They are a royal pain to make, but they are so worth it.




I LOVE it! The things we do for love...

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #25 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

jammjenks - yep, got the spoon, just pass me the servette please - lol lol
cakegrandma icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif What wonderful news - CONGRATULATIONS -
I think you are having the best day so far - well you and Kate...i guess being in charge of a chocolate fountain is huge - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
grandmom icon_eek.gif yes, that sounds like a right mess - thinking of you as you carve away - best of luck thumbs_up.gif ...
KKristy lol - you can come and stand in the kitchen whilst tatorchip mixes it thumbs_up.gif
tatorchip fresh sheets being put on spare bed as we speak - ANDDDD Australian Cake Design/Wedding mags being placed on bed side table - (bit of light reading for you) icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif




you are making me laugh so much, icon_wink.gif

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #26 of 10090

That is great news, CakeGrandma!! I hope to join your ranks someday!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #27 of 10090

No hints here either. Actually I'm taking a break from my Halloween cake that's due Friday because I'll be heading to a Mom's Night Out tonight. thumbs_up.gif

For all others who are caking today: icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #28 of 10090

Grandmom....

That is absolutely the best story ever - loved, loved, loved it!!!!! Read it to my DH cause I thought it was so funny and so well written!

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #29 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Since everybody is posting what they are doing today I just wanted to post about my Wonderful Week and Great Day icon_smile.gif . I finally got my license for my cake business on Tuesday, so I can start it down here now. I had lost a scone recipe that I had tried and loved and finally found it this week and I got 2 cake orders plus an order for croissant bread pudding with Amoretto sauce for this coming week. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif . I am so thrilled with this! Now if I can get this business going then hopefully I will be able to quit my job and instead of baking of a place I can actually open my own location within the year. Wish me luck please.
evelyn




I do wish you the best of everything in your business

JodieF Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #30 of 10090

I have H1N1, so I'm just happy to be sitting up today!

I have a little wedding cake for a coworker next weekend. I'm SO grateful I got this dumb flu now, so I'll be okay to make it! My DH is out doing all the shopping.


Jodie

Wait!!!! Pumpkin muffins???? *perking up* Recipe???? Pretty please????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%