Batter Volume For My Ml Pans

Decorating By grandmom

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 1

I want to tell y'all something, then I want to ask y'all something...

Telling: I recently bought all new 2" Magic Line pans (I'm so proud!). As I washed them for putting away, I noticed some were a little deeper than others. I made a mental note not to eyeball batter volume to the "half" or "two-thirds" full because of this discrepancy. I realize it probably wouldn't make much difference in the real world, but I have issues...

Anyway, I don't have much time to bake, so I'm always looking for ways to save time. I am planning a cake that will use several pan sizes, so I was trying to figure out how many layers of what size I can get from a single or doubled recipe.

Not the trusting sort, I decided to verify the volumes stated in Wilton's serving chart. The chart says its stated volumes fill the pans 2/3 full, but not in MY pans, they don't! The stated volumes filled the pans anywhere from 7/8" to 1 3/8"!! The stated 3 1/2 cups filled the 8" pan to exactly 1". I have been satisfied with how the 8" layers bake using my favorite recipes (WASC) so I decided to use the 1" as my standard.

So, I filled all the pans to 1" and measured the volumes, and saved the information in Excel. I have only done this with the round pans, will get around to the other shapes later. Such a geek...

Now the Asking:
Will I harm my pans or my cake or my friends/family if I make with a permanent marker just a little line on the inside of the pan to mark the 1" line?

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%