Omg I Could Be Doing This Full Time!!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 2:59pm by cylstrial

Cathy26 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 34

So excited!! Ive been a registered caker now for a year (its actually the anniversary of my first fondant cake on Monday!) and have been working fully time as a legal secretary and caking once my hubby goes to bed at 9pm (hes a lorry driver up at 4am).

been doing well with a few flyers and mostly word of mouth and repeat customers and got a website up and running and everything was going smoothly, the extra cash was nice for our NYC holiday fund, i was more and more confident about trying different cakes, etc and although tiring working two jobs everything was nice and steady.....

then.... my husband rings me a work and says look you only live once, why dont you try and open a cupcake cafe/cake shop. it was something we talked about like a pipe dream in the future but never seriously so i was really suprised - i have a good job, 9-5 monday to friday, a pension, sick pay, holiday pay and yet my hubby had enought faith in me to say about risking everything for me to follow my dream...

well to cut a long story short, after having worked like crazy the past couple weeks working out pricings, profit margins, staff costs, electricty, insurance, trying to find premises, looking at employment law, finding an accountant and working out how to find finance, shop fit out costs, start up costs, etc etc .....yesterday we found out that we have been approved for a £20,000 unsecured loan for the start up business which only works out at £484 a month for 5 years AND its looking positive that we could get the premises we want which are in the university area of Belfast which is buzzing.

There are no cupcake or American style bakeries/cheesecake/cupcake cafes in Northern Ireland so im hoping that this alongside my made to order cakes will really work....

so excited, actually cannot believe I could have my own shop and not be wishing 9-5 away every day!!!!! fingrs crossed that we get good news on the premises!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

33 replies
Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 34

Congratulations Cathy -
And just think of all the things you can make (that people haven't had before) - thumbs_up.gif

You will be the Queen of Cakes in no time... icon_smile.gif

It all seems to be falling into place for you -
Wishing you every success....Happy Caking.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

kaddikakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 34

That is so awesome and exciting. Wishing you the best of luck. I hope you keep us posted on your progress. Happy baking.

prterrell Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 34

Woot! congratulations! Best of success!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 34

You're making me tear up. sniff

I'm very happy for you--wow you can feel your jubilance and your hard work coming through the computer jumping out of your words.

Multiplied Congratulations!!

Stay focused.

<insert clapping hands wildly smilie face>

Cathy26 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 34

thanks for your support everyone, im really realy excited, really hope it works out - have so much riding on it but can really picture it with bags of fudge, cookies (not iced ones -lol im a disaster), macaroons and sweets at the till tied up with ribbon plus all my fancy cupcakes behind a glass counter and hopeully loads of cake orders!

am planning the shop to be a vintage, Cath Kidston inspired shabby chic decor with lots of cream painted wood, a wall with really funky pink floral wallpaper, a hugh ornate gilt mirror and loads of those shabby chic cupcake prints and paintings and then shelves behind me with lovely cupcake inspired china and pink scales ...oh i could go on STOP ME!!

really want something different to a branded minimalistic coffee shop but also something really funky and different to an old fashioned bakery to make it a fun experience to come into and have a really lovely non intimidating atmosphere - cant wait to hear back from the estate agents!!

mbasic Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 34

congratulations! very happy for you!

jdconcc Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 34

Oh I'm soooooo happy for you!!! I think we have the same brain as when I rebrand this year I'm going all Cath Kidston too icon_smile.gif (don't worry I'm in Yorkshire). My best friend's husbands family lives in Bangor and I will tell them to get theirselves up to your shop whenever they visit Belfast. I can't wait to get to this stage myself, GO GIRL !!!

Spuddysmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 34

Congratulations and lots of best wishes for much success. If yours will be one of the first cupcake shops in the area you should do tremendously well! Your ideas for the shop sound amazing - keep us all posted.

Cathy26 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 34

Thanks Justdarling - just looked up your site...im glad your in Yorkshire, wouldnt want the competition!!!

favrtdtr Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 34

CONGRATS!! I'm so happy for you!! I wish I could come to Ireland and help you celebrate your opening, LOL. Good luck

WykdGud Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 34

Sounds so exciting! Best of luck. icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 34

You only live once, so live your dream!! GO GIRL!!!

And so close to a Uni is great. The college kids might not be able to afford a custom cake, but a 1/2 doz cupcakes for a friend's b'day is right up their price range.

And don't forget ... POST PICS! Take all kinds as you renovate and then when you open. And share, share, share!!

Best of luck - after all, you DO have The Luck of the Irish behind you on this. icon_wink.gif

sugarandslice Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 34

HUGE congratulations Cathy. Sounds like your dream is about to become a reality.
And you've made me remember all the great times I've had in Belfast - excellent food-scene! It's an awesome city, and around the uni is a great place for a cake shop. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Keep us updated as you progress!

Emma

Jenteach Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 34

Congratulations! I have family that live near Belfast (my cousin is a nurse at the hospital). If I'm ever back there, I'll have to come and see your new shop!

All the best!

Jen

TheBlonde Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:12pm
post #16 of 34

WOW, congrats! Let us know how everything works out

zdebssweetsj Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 34

Congratulations!!! I know how thrilled you must be.. Good Luck

tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 34

I am so glad for you and your hubby is so good to you, that is great, best wishes and congratulations.

conb Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #19 of 34

Congratulations! I love to hear when people are able to live out their dreams. Happy caking! icon_cool.gif

dorie67 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #20 of 34

Congratulations Cathy24, very happy for you and your dream coming true! Lots of luck. princess.gif

luvmysmoother Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #21 of 34

Congrats for being brave enough to do it and smart enough to do your homework beforehand and weigh the costs/benefitsicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif So happy for youicon_smile.gif Where I live it seems there are as many cupcake shops as there are Starbucks so I know my hobby will remain just that - a hobbyicon_smile.gif

sewlora Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #22 of 34

Congratulations! All the best for wonderful success!

lthiele Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #23 of 34

So exciting! Everything crossed for you that you get the shop you want. Love how you described your vision for it, definitely somewhere I would go for coffe and cake! So many of us think about it - what an awsome husband to take that leap with you! Good luck - keep us posted! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm
post #24 of 34

Congratulations...best wishes to you!

Jen icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

Thanks Justdarling - just looked up your site...im glad your in Yorkshire, wouldnt want the competition!!!

Thanks Cathy icon_smile.gif I love your cakes so I'll take that as a big compliment. All the best and keep us posted I can't wait till it's my turn! x

CinHan Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #26 of 34

Good luck and congrats! So nice to see a dream come true.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #27 of 34

Congratulations icon_smile.gif You cakes look delish!

lthiele Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #28 of 34

Hey Cathy - any news on your shop yet?

Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:37am
post #29 of 34

Congratulations, Cathy!!!

Paul

LacyHogan Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:24am
post #30 of 34

Congratulations! I'm SO jealous! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%