My First 'disaster'

Decorating By jillangel Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm by OregonCakeLady

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:38am
post #1 of 27

Ugh I am so upset. What started out as my favorite cake so far has gone to he** in a handbasket. Last night I made an awesome beer bucket cake and once it was done and pics taken the bottles I guess were too heavy plus the ice and slowly the whole back startled to settle buckle and collapse. DH got me out of bed at 1:30 (I couldn't sleep anyway) because it was getting worse so I took the bottles out but couldn't save it. Figured I'd deal with it in the morning. So at 5:30 I was up and yup the one panel completely collapsed back and the other two are close. Ugh Ugh Ugh. Not sure if I want to vomit or have the runs but my stomach is a knot. Sorry TMI. Anyway, made some more ice and peeled some fondant off the back hoping to spackle the crap out of it with icing and put some more fondant on. Good points being 1. the front still looks decent 2. I am almost sure I can get it back together but it will never look great back there I just don't want it to fall apart. 3. It is still edible so they will have cake. They only needed about 20 servings and I have 3 chocolate 10" hexagon layers so it should still be enough. 4. I do this as a hobby so no charge but it upsets me so bad because I wanted it to be perfect. All I could think about was if I were in a business I would be so sick I can't even imagine. I always dreaded my first disaster but doesn't everyone. I didn't think I could put it in the fridge since it had those bottles on it and whatnot. Maybe I read wrong somewhere. Sorry to ramble wish me luck icon_cry.gif

26 replies
katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:48am
post #2 of 27

Dont sweat on it to much. Yes, things went wrong but use this as an opportunity to learn what went wrong so it wont happen next time. In saying all that, im sure you will patch it up and no one will even know icon_smile.gif
Good luck, please post a pic so we can comment on the great job you did icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #3 of 27

Im so sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif theres nothing worse than wen we have a disaster , as you said ,the front still looks good, and seen as its free of charge, im sure if you just explain you had a few issues, they will understand. Take it as a learning curve love, its all you can do now. oh yes, and please do post your pic icon_smile.gif x

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 27

Sorry it's giving you problems. It sounds like your Raven logo is still OK, so that's a start. I'm sure you'll produce something great from it. It looked so good in your photos! You did a great job. Good luck with it. thumbs_up.gif

jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 27

Thank you all. I've done what I can to fix it. It is acceptable from the front and we just won't look at the back. She hasn't seen it but I just spoke on the phone with her and she said it's fine. Things happen. So relived she is understanding. I've learned from this to say the least. I knew eventually I'd have to have a disaster LOL! I'll try to post pics of the back and what it looks like from the front now and hey at least it will taste good!
LL
LL
LL
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 27

Aww, man! That's the coolest!

Ideas for next time: maybe lean the bottles in toward each other a bit. Use some raffia tie string stuff around it?

It really looks like a battered ice tub--maybe put a little rust and dust a little cocoa powder to age it and go with the flow? Cut a little section of the fondant and peel it back so it looks dented & rusty on purpose?

Like it attended one tail gate party too many type of effect.

What great workmanship though--you really put in the time!!
The bottles are great the bucket is very usable. So much work you did so well!!!

When life hands you a dented ice bucket fill 'er w/ice & get the brews chillin'!!!!

You still have a winner, CakeBuddy.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 27

This isn't exactly "up my alley" but if those are real bottles, maybe next one you ought to leave them off until last minute to keep the weight off the cake as long as possible. It's a great looking cake except for the collapse. How did you support the bottles on top of the cake??

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 27

I think it is an amazing cake - you recovered it well!!! I've been in a situation before that my stomach was just sick. I was shaking! And I fixed it, but it was no fun.

jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 27

K8 thanks so much! My one mistake before it fell was I did put those bottles in at a terrible angle they need to go straight up and down or closer like you said so they don't put too much pressure on it. Last night when it started buckling we were trying to come up with something to tie it together, raffia would have been great. Probably glad it did collapse and I ultimately had to fix it because I'm afraid if I'd have rigged it then it may have fallen apart at the party and that would have done me in! Better this way I guess. Ironically, this didn't take near as long as I'd have thought. Here I was spouting off it was easy and it collapsed icon_eek.gif . The humor I find is that is says Don't kick the bucket and it sure looks like the bucket has been kicked!

jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 27

Carol and Jan- thanks, they were sugar bottles so not even as heavy as real bottles but I didn't have them supported well. Afterwards genius me decided yes they do need dowels (well skewers) I'll dowel the heck out of the next cake for sure!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 27

I didn't see if you said this or not-but did you have an supports inside to help with the weight of the topper/bottles? I've had a cake do something similar when my topper was very heavy.

The cake looked cool, though!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillangel

Carol and Jan- thanks, they were sugar bottles so not even as heavy as real bottles but I didn't have them supported well. Afterwards genius me decided yes they do need dowels (well skewers) I'll dowel the heck out of the next cake for sure!

sorry, just saw this.

Next time, if you think something is at all heavy, just make sure to support it. thumbs_up.gif

jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 27

Officer Morgan next time I'd be doweling cotton balls if they were on the cake. I'm taking no chances LOL. Must say my friend love love loved the cake anyway so that made me feel so much better. Usually I am very good about doweling I just don't know what I was thinking...well I wasn't thinking.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 27

I'm so sorry for your frustration!... but, honestly now, who has ever seen a real bucket-o-beer that wasn't a little dented up? hey, it's a party - tell 'em you were going for realism! After a few beers it'll all look straight anyway.
Super neat ice cubes BTW - did you make those?

jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 27

Spuddysmom-Thanks, I did make the ice cubes sugar and corn syrup recipe. One batch did melt yesterday due to humidity so I made a new batch they were fine but yellowish since i didn't have isomalt. I brushed them with blue pearl luster dust and they shined nicely. By the time I took her the cake it was so humid here they were glossy from a bit of melting added to the realism I guess. For instance two practice bottles are on my counter literally melting into a puddle. The cake was in air conditioning though. I think with the drinking going on there you are right no one will notice. She had me try three different Jello shooters when I dropped it off ( I could have used them this morning!)

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 27

3 Jello shooters for a tip? Whoo-hoo thumbs_up.gif That's one happy cake client! (and one now very relaxed caker, eh?). Nice to hear it all turned out well. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 27

so sorry this happend to you but wow that is an amazing job on your sugar bottles!

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 27

What a great job!! Id be proud to say I made that cake icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:34am
post #19 of 27

Jillangel, It's a darned impressive cake and a great save. Congratulations on both counts. Those bottles looked real to me!!

jillangel Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:43am
post #20 of 27

Thank you everyone. I love this site. Everyone is so helpful and supportive. I was so upset and needed to just get it out where people would understand and help me and so many people came forward with kind, helpful words, support and encouragement. Makes a world of difference to me icon_smile.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillangel

NO WAY!! Those bottles look SO real! That's amazing - the whole cake looks great!

PeytonsMom0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeytonsMom0207 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:45am
post #22 of 27

Please PLEASE fill me on those awesome sugar bottles. icon_smile.gif

jillangel Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:57am
post #23 of 27

Thanks everyone! Peytonsmom-I read the tutorials on here a trillion times and watched Kayla's youtube tutorial. What ended up working for me was 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup corn syrup heated on high for 6 min. (other recipes said 6 min at 50% 2 minutes on high) I have a smaller microwave. After 6 min I added a nice plop of brown color and poured it in the mold. I did cheat and steam the labels off the real bottles. Same recipe for the ice minus the brown color. I poured the sugar in Wilton's silicone mini brownie mold. Since I didn't have isomalt my ice was yellowish. I tried adding the tiniest bit of blue color (as was suggested in a thread and in theory should have worked but it didn't) so I made another batch and dusted them with blue pearl luster dust. Wasn't perfect but better. When the humidity started melting everything slightly (after the pic) they really got glass like and looked more real. This (despite the aftermath) was the most fun of all the cakes I've made.

vinman9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vinman9 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:20am
post #24 of 27

Jill, that cake looked amazing! I thought that the bottles were real too, until I read this post. Nice work, and sorry that the back of it collapsed.

My suggestion is, next time try a lighter beer, maybe MGD 64? icon_wink.gif

jillangel Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:28am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman9

Jill, that cake looked amazing! I thought that the bottles were real too, until I read this post. Nice work, and sorry that the back of it collapsed.

My suggestion is, next time try a lighter beer, maybe MGD 64? icon_wink.gif

ROFL! Thanks vinman!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:07am
post #26 of 27

You did a great job on that cake!!! thumbs_up.gif And your fix of the back is just fine. Wow, some day, I'll be brave enough to try the beer bottles and ice. I think they are amazing.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #27 of 27

It seems like you already got all the advice you need but I was wondering how you put the bottles into your cake. Did you carve a space for each one or did you just shove them into the cake? If the later method was used, that would be your problem along with the weight of the bottles. The blunt ends of the bottles would create quite a few canyons in the cake under the fondant. That's just my guess for what happened. Sorry about the stress.... I know how it feels. I think all Cakers should take anti anxiety medicine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%