What Would You Offer?

Business By Echooo3 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 2:06am by blessedist

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:48am
post #1 of 9

I've been offered space to set up a table at an event for free so I can expose my name/bakery.

Here is the desciption of the event which cost people $3.00 to enter:
A Family Day featuring a lights-up art exhibit, performances, and trick or treating for families.

It is taking place on October 31st 1:00-4:00 PM.

What should I be prepared to sell?

If I offer boxed "holloween" cookies and I have any left over, they won't be practical to sell the next day since the event is taking place Halloween Day.

Since the entrance fee is only $3.00 per person, it's unlikely that there will be people wanting higher priced items but I would love to get my name out there since I just got "legal" yesterday and will be baking in my commercial kitchen on Sunday.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:33am
post #2 of 9

Congratulations on the being legal--truly wonderful for you.

Hmm--what about changing leaves cookies, maybe a few pumpkins. Those would still be good next day. Maybe go more autumnal with a bit of Halloween tossed in.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:02am
post #3 of 9

The event finishes at 4pm - use any left overs for the kids that come trick or treating in your area.
You could also monitor how your sales are going and if you break even give some away as a goodwill gesture.
That will still be getting your name out there - attach a tag wth your details to the cookies you give away.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 9

You could do fall colored cupcakes, too, that could quickly be converted into a Thanksgiving cupcake, if need be.

Paul

kokopellimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopellimom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

What about making a ghost topper for cupcakes? Take a rolled circle of white gumpaste or fondant, drape it over a big rounded blob of buttercream icing on top of the cupcake, and let it drape so it looks billowy. Add black buttercream dots for eyes/mouth, and you have a ghost. They're pretty easy to make, and so cute.

You can always remove the ghosts and re-ice any leftover cupcakes, but my guess is that if kids see these, you won't have any left. I made these for a big Halloween party a few years ago, and they disappeared immediately - everyone wanted one. There's something irresistible about those little black eyes staring up at you!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 9

Mazel tov!

With that kind of entry fee..... well, don't be surprised if all the cheapskates come.

Many people say the 'instant gratification' items are decent sellers at these kind of events. Suff they can eat NOW, like brownies, cookies, cuppies etc.

Good luck and I hope this is profitable fo you.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #7 of 9

I would go mini brownies w/a buttercream swirl, mini cupcakes, cookie bites, cake balls/truffles, etc. Small enough to eat in a bite or two & not have to carry around making a mess.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 9

I would go with mini cupcakes or cookies with some Halloween and some fall (pumpkin, leaves etc) just like everyone else said.

Congrats on your new kitchen!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

You could make mini brownies and cupcakes and put grass and the little candy pumpkins on top which would be easy and the parents would like the fact that it doesn't make a big mess. I would say cake balls in orange, but that may be too much work for you....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%