Ganache Question

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm by cabecakes

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 17

Can I use chocolate disks (aka candy melts) instead of chips? I've got several great big bags of them and if I don't have to buy chips, the better. I've only seen recipes with chips, not disks. I need white and orange to cover some mini-cakes I'm making for Hallowe'en.

Thanks.

16 replies
CarolAnn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:16am
post #2 of 17

Boy, I'm just not sure if you can sub the discs for choc in ganache or not. I thought the fat ratio played a big part here. I'll be watching for responses too. Good question. Hope this keeps your question up front until someone knowledgeable pipes up.

Amylou Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:18am
post #3 of 17
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:51am
post #4 of 17

Thanks, Amylou. In that thread, there was a link to the Wilton site on how to make ganache using Candy Melts. For those who need it, here it is...

Basic Ganache and Truffles

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Ganache
(Mod edited to provide link.)

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 17

Second question (because I forgot to ask the first time) ... Do I need to BC the cake before I pour the ganache over it?

(I'll see if I can find out elsewhere while I'm waiting for a reply.)

CarolAnn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 17

No, don't bc it! Crumb coat your cake with a thin layer of ganache and refrigerate it or let it sit a while to set, then ice your cake.

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 17

Careful, CutiePie!! Are you going to use the ganache as the final covering, or are you going to cover the ganache with fondant?

A recipe for ganache filling may not set up firmly enough to be used under fondant.

cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 17

Oh, I don't know, you hear about people using ganache under fondant on here all the time. I have never tried it myself, but I have seen where others have done it. Worth checking out though. But they are using it as their cake covering instead of buttercream. I wouldn't put buttercream under the ganache.

tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 17

Actually, lots of people use ganache under fondant. Sharon Zambito is an expert on the subject, she uses it on her
DVD for TT's
Edna icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 17

I must not have explained my thoughts very clearly.

Yes, people put ganache under fondant all the time - myself included! What I meant to say to the OP was that not all ganache recipes are the type that will set up firm enough for this. The OP said the recipe was for a ganache FILLING, so I was trying to suggest that she be careful that this recipe will set up firm.

tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 17

Dont worry grandmom, it's a good suggestion!.. and soooo true!
Edna icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

I must not have explained my thoughts very clearly.

Made sense to me. icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Careful, CutiePie!! Are you going to use the ganache as the final covering, or are you going to cover the ganache with fondant?

A recipe for ganache filling may not set up firmly enough to be used under fondant.

No, I'm not covering with fondant. The ganache will be the outer layer (final covering as you said) - no icing or anything else on top. I'm making over 50 little ghosties and pumpkins for my kids' classrooms, and don't want to fuss (they won't appreciate it as much as the teachers, anyway). I just want to pour the ganache over the mini-cakes, let it harden, then add a few facial accents with melted milk chocoate. I think I would go starkers, trying to fondant 50 little cakes! icon_surprised.gif

So, is the Wilton Ganache recipe the one to use? I think it would be fine, since it also says you can make tuffles with it.

BTW: Thanks for ongoing advice, fellow cakers. And to the mod, for adding the link to the recipe for me. (Should have done that in the first place - my bad.)

lthiele Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:06am
post #14 of 17

Hey cutiepie - I have made white choc ganache with discs or buttons. Over here we call it compound choc, I think it has a higher fat content. It turned out fine and the people who ate the cake said it was yummy. Especially for kids it will be fine. (Obviously proper choc tastes better for adults IMO!)

The thing with ganache is you can pretty much change the proportions to suit what consistency you need - there is no right or wrong. I haven't made pouring consistency before but I'm thinking maybe 3 parts cream to 1 part choc. I would heat it gently in the microwave right before you use it and would probably dip them with a fork rather than pour, then straight in the fridge.

Definitely NO BC first! HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #15 of 17

Thats usually what I use

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #16 of 17

Thanks for the helpful hints, Ithiele. That's good to know - especially the "dipping" rather than "pouring". I just hope the cake stays on the fork!

cabecakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 17

Sorry, grandmom, my bad. I apparently read through your post too fast. Missed where you said ganache FILLING. Your absolutely correct.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%