Impression Mat And Gumpaste

Decorating By Princessxx182 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm by proudmommaof3

Princessxx182 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 7

Hello! I'm fairly new to cakeing and have a couple questions...first one is when it comes to making decorations what is the difference (benefits/negatives) between straight gumpaste or a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant combo? and secondly I want to get a criss cross pattern on a round buttercream iced cake I see that you can use an impression mat my question is where do I get one of these and do they wrap all the way around the cake or do you have to line it up and how difficult is this? Thanks so much in advance.

Paige icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
ginger6361 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 7

I have been wanting to ask the same question! Thank you! I look forward to see the replys.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessxx182

Hello! I'm fairly new to cakeing and have a couple questions...first one is when it comes to making decorations what is the difference (benefits/negatives) between straight gumpaste or a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant combo? and secondly I want to get a criss cross pattern on a round buttercream iced cake I see that you can use an my question is where do I get one of these and do they wrap all the way around the cake or do you have to line it up and how difficult is this? Thanks so much in advance.

Paige icon_biggrin.gif

As to 50-50 or pure GP, depends on what you are making....flowers with thin petals that must hold their shape are best from pure GP....decorations that are on the tops or sides of the cake or molded figures do fine in 50-50.

As to the diamond pattern....different people do different things....you don't need a mat at all if you have time to work on the cake...you can make an angled patter from carstock and mark the lines with a spatula. You can use an impression mat, but I find it hard to press the whole thing into the cake at once...especially smaller cakes.....you can cut the mat into sections of 3-4 diamonds wide and press them....it is pretty easy to line them up.

Princessxx182 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 7

Ok well the cake im trying to recreate the person who made it before used a 50/50 mix so I would like to try that my next question is how do I make this? Do I just make the fondant and gumpaste seperate and knead them together?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessxx182

Ok well the cake im trying to recreate the person who made it before used a 50/50 mix so I would like to try that my next question is how do I make this? Do I just make the fondant and gumpaste seperate and knead them together?

Yes....just knead equal parts together.

Cakepro Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 7

Actually, I do all of my GP flowers with 50/50 and you can roll it every bit as thin as you can straight GP. icon_smile.gif

proudmommaof3 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

I bought my impression mat on globalsugar just make sure to sprinkle with cornstarch before pressing on BC and make sure it is crusted well or it will stick! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%