Gp Rose Question

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm by Jeff_Arnett

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 5

I am a BIG fan of the work of Ron Ben-Israel. I love his roses in particular.

Take a look at these:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3411656&id=111752518573#

I can get the center part fine, but any suggestion how to get the shape of the 5 large outer petals?

4 replies
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

I would lay my formed petals over a dowel to bend them slightly. Once firm i would use a little royal icing to attach to the center. I am no expert, but that is how I would do it. Maybe someone else will have other suggestions. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5

I would curl it over a toothpick or a plastic lollipop stick, put it on a soft foam pad and indent the center with a large ball tool or, on a big rose, the end of the small wilton roller, then only put gum glue at the base and up one side to attach...but I don't know for sure, that's just what I would try.

Sugarflowers Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 5

I'm guessing that the outer petals have a fine wire in them and are taped to the rose while they are still barely pliable. I think he uses a cel stick or the end of a paint brush to curl back the petals. Once the petals have set up enough to hold their shape then taping them to the main rose will be easy. This way they can be formed around the rose without breaking them.

Plastic spoons make good shapers for rose petals. As some are drying, others can be made.

This is how I do it anyway.

Michele

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I'm guessing that the outer petals have a fine wire in them and are taped to the rose while they are still barely pliable. I think he uses a cel stick or the end of a paint brush to curl back the petals. Once the petals have set up enough to hold their shape then taping them to the main rose will be easy. This way they can be formed around the rose without breaking them.

Plastic spoons make good shapers for rose petals. As some are drying, others can be made.

This is how I do it anyway.

Michele

I've actually seen how he does it in a video. On the Satin Ice website, www.rolledfondant.com, Ron demonstrate adding gum trag or tylose to Satin Ice fondant to turn it into GP, then he makes this huge rose cake.

He cuts and curls the outer petals, then lays them to dry in formers made from thos blue paper trays that come in apple cartons at the market.

He lets about half the petal lay over the edge of the bowl [he cuts the tray into individual bowls and covers with foil, then glues to a board] then attaches them.

I've tried this, but mine still do not have that curled outer edge like his.

He also uses the spoon mold to shape the inner petals....we learned that from Rosemary Watson years ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%