Home Baker - Cake Leftovers

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm by laurs_1981

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 17

i'm not sure if this is where i should ask this, but i have a simple question. i have taken up cake decorating as a hobby, and i find that i have a lot of "leftover" cake once i'm done trimming, and shaping........what do people normally do with all of the "scraps".....i hate throwing it out!!!!.....my boyfriend suggested thinking of some inventive ideas on how to use it....i'm thinking of a bicotti type cookie????...i'm not going to sell this obviously, just for home recipes....but wondered what others are doing..

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 17

Cake balls or cake truffles, depending on what you like to call them. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2099/cake-balls

There are lots of other recipes for them too. Some people dip them in chocolate and sell them.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 17

We eat them...and yes, I have very happy children! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 17

Ours go straight in the trash. Don't think of it as wasted food. It's not. It's the peelings from the potatoes (trash); it's the husks from corn on the cob (trash); it's the bread crusts peeled from a peanut butter sandwich for a picky kid (trash).

When I baked at home, I'd yell 'TRIM JOBS!!!!!!!!!!". Family would have 5 minutes to get it while they could. Anything left more than 5 minutes on the plate went straight to the trash.

Eventually, nobody came running anymore. They were sick of cake, too.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 17

I live in an apartment complex where we know a lot of the people so when I get done with a carved cake I put the trimmings into ziplocks and give them out. Now if it's just cake top then my family gladly eats it up quickly! We also use it to make parfaits and other layered desserts to take over to peoples houses. You can just take your cake trimmings, put them in a large zip lock bad and freeze it. When you need to make a layered dessert you just take the bag out and layer it in with fruit and whipped cream and/or pudding and you have a great dessert!

Enjoy!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 17

I throw it away too....i figured is cheaper to loose a few cents in cake, than to those scraps add more ingredients to make cake balls that then i'll eat, so then i'll be fat and unhealthy and i'll have to spend MORE money in medications, gym membership etc...to get back in track! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #7 of 17

down the disposal.....unless the grand kids are here, then they wolf it down....any left...down disposal

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:32am
post #8 of 17

I just submitted this recipe but hasn't been excepted yet. It is a good way to use up your cake scraps, flops, or cookie leftovers. It's a spice cookie. Great for fall flavors.

Crumb Cookies (like Miller & Paine) - GrandmaG

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup margarine
3 beaten eggs
4 or 5 cups of cake and cookie crumbs. Anything goes. Any flavor.
3/4 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cups nuts, chopped
1/4 cup milk
5 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup molasses or honey
2 cups raisins, chopped
Cream sugar and margarine, beat in eggs and molasses; stir n remaining ingredients. Chill. Roll into walnut sized balls, then roll in sugar. Press with fork and bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 17

my dh love to fix a large bowl of cake scraps and pour milk over and eat, the rest I freeze and make cake balls, my whole family loves them so they get them. They always drop of ps or eggs and things like that because they know it cost to make them. Gotta love them lol

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 17

Since I don't bake often I have my kids an DH hanging from my legs until I finish trimming, when I finally say "ok, I'm done" they attack it as a pack of wolfs icon_lol.gif If there's anything left it goes to the trash

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I just submitted this recipe but hasn't been excepted yet. It is a good way to use up your cake scraps, flops, or cookie leftovers. It's a spice cookie. Great for fall flavors.

Crumb Cookies (like Miller & Paine) - GrandmaG

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup margarine
3 beaten eggs
4 or 5 cups of cake and cookie crumbs. Anything goes. Any flavor.
3/4 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cups nuts, chopped
1/4 cup milk
5 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup molasses or honey
2 cups raisins, chopped
Cream sugar and margarine, beat in eggs and molasses; stir n remaining ingredients. Chill. Roll into walnut sized balls, then roll in sugar. Press with fork and bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Thanks for the recipe! How many cookies does that make, GrandmaG? Looks like a bunch icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #12 of 17

Ya know, it's been a while since I've made them so I don't remember but it does make a large batch.

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #13 of 17

When I trim the cake tops I use those. I roll them up jelly roll style with icing or other filling. Wrap it in cling wrap and freeze, the slice while semi frozen. It's still cake scraps, but nicer looking.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Since I don't bake often I have my kids an DH hanging from my legs until I finish trimming, when I finally say "ok, I'm done" they attack it as a pack of wolfs icon_lol.gif If there's anything left it goes to the trash

That's funny. My dh is usually lurking around just waiting for me to level cakes so he can snarf up the tops. When they don't need trimming he's always disappointed. I'm baking a cake tomorrow for our granddaughter's 10th b-day on Sunday, so I'll make sure there's something left to snarf.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ours go straight in the trash. Don't think of it as wasted food. It's not. It's the peelings from the potatoes (trash); it's the husks from corn on the cob (trash); it's the bread crusts peeled from a peanut butter sandwich for a picky kid (trash).

When I baked at home, I'd yell 'TRIM JOBS!!!!!!!!!!". Family would have 5 minutes to get it while they could. Anything left more than 5 minutes on the plate went straight to the trash.

Eventually, nobody came running anymore. They were sick of cake, too.

I have exactly the same system, but I yell "Cake scraps!" thumbs_up.gif

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 17

I've mixed crumble cake scraps with a bit of icing to use for my dam when filling a cake. I don't do it every time, but it does work nicely. Thank you, Toba Garrett! She calls it "spackle" and if I remember correctly, she "spackles" her fondant-covered cakes with it (before covering with buttercream and then fondant).

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 17

all great suggestions!!!!..thanks guys....it just hurts me to throw it out!! and even the dog is starting to roll his eyes when i give him scraps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%