Newb Question

Decorating By billie1978 Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm by billie1978

billie1978 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. I am going to attempt a TT cake for my son's fourth birthday. I really have no idea what I'm doing, so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about doing the cake like this:

Bottom tier - chocolate cake with chocolate cheesecake filling

and top tier - Banana cake with coconut cream cheese filling

with Buttercream Frosting.

I don't even know if these are good combination's to use and if the filling will work with this kind of cake. I am really clueless...so if anyone could let me know if this sounds like it would work or not, I would love some advice.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
idgalpal Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 7

Are you making the cake for adults to eat or for children at your son's birthday party to eat?
I think the flavors sound great for adults, but I'm not so sure children will like/appreciate your flavors.
IMHO

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:41am
post #3 of 7

I agree w/the other poster. The flavors sound nice but more towards adult tastes.
For kids, I would go w/one choco w/icing filling and one vanilla w/a fruit type filling.

billie1978 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies.

idgalpal....The cake will be eaten by kids and adults at the party.

Kakeladi.....I think I'll go with your suggestion of choco w/icing filling and a vanilla with fruit filling. For the choco filling, should I use chocolate icing for the filling or something else like chocolate pudding? And, any fruit suggestions for the vanilla cake? Again, I'm pretty clueless. I've never used fruit filling before so I don't even know where to start. I hope you guys don't mind answering my questions.

ksmith1012 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 7

For the fruit filling, you could try the premade ones they sell at cake decorating suppliers. I've heard of many other decorators using these, so they must be pretty good. There are several different flavors, and it would save you the time of preparing something yourself. Or try looking at the filling recipes on here that have been used by decorators on CC. And pretty much anything will go with vanilla, fruitwise.

Amylou Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 7

Keep in mind, if you're using perishable fillings it will need to be refrigerated...and do you have the room in the fridge for the cake.

If you're using pudding, it is softer so make sure your dam is thick to support it.

The fruit filling sleeves are good, the chocolate and bavarian...not so much IMO.

billie1978 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks so much for the help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%