Another Serving Size Question

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 2:40am by Shawnswife

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 18

I've been asked to bake a wedding cake and grooms cake and it will be my first. The bride says she is expecting 150 guests at the reception but she wants a butternut cake to serve 125 and a red velvet grooms cake to serve 50. I'm afraid everyone will want the red velvet since I'd never heard of butternut. I will also be one of the guests so I do want to be sure that there is enough cake. I will not be in charge of serving the cake - the people at the venue will do that. Do I just make what they requested and hope for the best or should I try to talk her into more cake? Would love to have advice from you experienced decorators. Thanks so much.

17 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 18

you can maybe say that it might be wise to make a layer of the wedding cake vanilla, not everyone will like butternut cake - whatever that is (actually, im imagining it being kind of carrot cakey, looking at recipes?).

at the end of the day, if she likes it, and they pay, you cant really argue! although i do think the couple should cater to their guests and not be entirely self centered, you can bet id have an all chocolate wedding cake! (if i didnt have a man who loves vanilla!)
xx

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 18

Yeah, I hear butternut cake & I think butternut squash! icon_razz.gif Of course zuchinni bread taste good, so maybe it's something along them lines. But I agree with Brincess_B. I think couples should also take their guest taste into consideration.

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 18

I would have her really describe what she is expecting cake and icing wise, that way there is no confusion - does she have the recipe? Has she had it at a certain restaurant?

And I bet that the servers know how to gauge a serving, but I would tell them ahead your expectations, and don't forget you don't eat the top of the cake so don't count that in servings - she may not know that either...

Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 18

If I get a couple who wants the entire cake to be a flavor other than white, I will ask them if they have any traditionalists in their families who might enjoy some white cake? I then tell them, "My son in law says if he goes to a wedding and there is no white cake with white icing, then he's taking his present and leaving!" icon_lol.gif

I frequently do cakes in which there is not an even distribution of cake flavors. When they run out of one flavor, then they're out and there's not much you can do about it. If guests ask about it, I tell them (since I'm the one cutting the cake) "Yeah, that was a popular flavor and it went fast!" icon_biggrin.gif

But I'm with everyone else: What the hell is "butternut" cake? I looked up some recipes and they all have "butternut flavoring" which doesn't tell me squat! icon_cry.gif

Elaine2581 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks to those of you who replied. I do appreciate the advice. The bride did give me a recipe though she warned me that hers never turned out well. I searched the internet and found two that I plan to try in advance, one from a mix and one from scratch. She also provided me with one bottle of flavoring. She wouldn't tell me where she got it but once I had it in my hand, I was able to order another bottle. I bought a vanilla, butter and nut flavoring at the grocery store and made a cake with that and it was delicious. However, both of the flavorings do turn the batter and frosting yellow, which is okay with her but not for guests who only want White!!! I am still wondering about my original question, though. A two layer 13x9x4 is supposed to make 50 wedding servings but that just seems so small to put out for 150 guests. Welcome more advice.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 18

uk google results suggest its a cake with actual butternut squash - like carrot cake, us results are purely about this flavouring. the diference between countries amused me icon_smile.gif im curious though - is butternut flavouring a nut flavour, or squash flavour?

as long as you have enough cake servings or everyone, and the bride is happy to have the sizes suggested, then i wouldnt worry about it. of course, make sure its all in the contract! the grooms cake is generally supposed to be smaller anyway.

besides, everyone knows when the cake is cut and laid out, you have to run for the pick of the slices!
xx

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 18

I think you have to trust your serving sizes.... I think if you make enough for everyone, you will be fine, regardless of flavor. When one is gone, they will eat the other icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 18

Really? She wants an unusual flavour, but won't tell you where to get the flavouring? Weird.

As for more cake, if that's what she wants and pays for, that's what she gets. She's under no obligation to provide a 'traditional' flavour, and if guests don't like it, they don't have to eat it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 18

Really? She wants an unusual flavour, but won't tell you where to get the flavouring? Weird.

As for more cake, if that's what she wants and pays for, that's what she gets. She's under no obligation to provide a 'traditional' flavour, and if guests don't like it, they don't have to eat it.

Elaine2581 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:37am
post #11 of 18

Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate your time and help. The bride has provided one bottle of flavoring and it is actually called "Butter and Nut". It smells good but is hard to describe. It is not made from Butternut Squash. She said she used to have it for birthday cakes as she was growing up. I bought a bottle over the internet from a county store in NC and paid more for the shipping than the bottle of flavoring itself. Thanks again. I love this website for its helps and ideas.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:57am
post #12 of 18

Personally, I would not be comfortable serving a cake from a recipe that I had never made before and wasn't something I had already spent a long time perfecting as my own. I know that you're going to do some test runs first, but still. Is she paying you extra to do this?

If it were me, well, I am not in a position to spend extra money to experiment on creating this flavor because the bride doesn't like what I offer and wants me to make her a flavor that she admits she can't get right.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense for me (financially and otherwise) to use someone else's recipes. What happens if you bake it and she doesn't like the taste because it's not how she thought it would turn out? Is she going to want a refund? Is there anything in your contract to cover this?

Who knows, maybe you'll create the most amazing cake flavor ever, but for me I would tell her what's on my cake menu is what I offer.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 18

I would make the amount the customer pays for. I would note on the contract that she ordered less than she needed though.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 18

Butternut flavor doesn't sound quite as weird if you think of butter pecan, quite a tasty ice cream flavor.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2581

Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate your time and help. The bride has provided one bottle of flavoring and it is actually called "Butter and Nut". It smells good but is hard to describe. It is not made from Butternut Squash. She said she used to have it for birthday cakes as she was growing up. I bought a bottle over the internet from a county store in NC and paid more for the shipping than the bottle of flavoring itself. Thanks again. I love this website for its helps and ideas.

Lorann oils makes a butternut oil flavoring. I use it in my buttercream on my banana chocolate chip cake and it's delicious. I get it at thebakerskitchen.com.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 18
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #17 of 18

I use butter & pecan (Lorann) oils for butter pecan cake. Works great but you gotta use it carefully to taste, not measured out like vanilla--I use it in addition to vanilla.

I don't know--she's ordering 175 servings for 150 quests. Why won't that work?

I mean whenever the bride says a different flavor in each tier I play the 'but everyone will want a slice of each' card--and it usually works. But 125 brides c and 50 grooms c works for me.

I mean if it was a miso flavored cake with balsamic filling or taro flavored --ahh yeah might not go over with the crowd--now those might be some good flavor ideas to put in the next how to keep wedding costs down article but butter and nut are easy common flavors. Almond is a nut flavor wasc.

But giving you a recipe that doens't even work--please!

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

you can bet i'd have an all chocolate wedding cake! (if i didnt have a man who loves vanilla!) xx

Oh my God! Sooo true, so true!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%