Stacked Cake Keeps Leaning

Decorating By momtwoboyz Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 1:59am by prterrell

momtwoboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtwoboyz Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 11

I have 9 inch layers stacked on top of each other with dowel rod supports between. I also have another 6 inch layer on top of those with dowel rod supports underneath. My cake is still leaning. I have rods that go top to bottom in 3 locations and it doesn't seam like it's helping much.

HELP icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !!!

What can I do to help support it? I was going to cover it with fondant, but am now thinking that it would be even more of a disaster with the weight of the fondant on it.

Thanks!!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 11

how many 9" layers are stacked on top of each other?

Regardless, it sounds like your dowels are not the same size. Did you insert one dowel, measure & mark, then cut the other dowels this size? Or did you insert each dowel and measure-n-mark individually?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 11

Maybe you need one long dowel all the way thru all the layers, sharpen it with a clean pencil sharpener and hammer down thru them

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11

over doweling can be a problem (and underdoweling!). how many are in each layer?
you dont mention a cake board between the layers?

is it a normal tiered cake you want? if so, you would normally cover the tiers in fondant before stacking.
xx

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 11

ok I am totally lost now hahaha

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:14am
post #6 of 11

I personally have not had good experiences with wooden dowels. The times I have had cracking or leaning it was with wooden dowels. Look into SPS, or even the large plastic tubes Wilton sells.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #7 of 11

SPS = no leaning. No kidding.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #8 of 11

i use wooden dowels all the time with no problem but as someone said, are there cake boards between the tiers? Did you cut the dowels all the same size or did you cut them individually? They must all be the same size, use the one that is the longest, (goes in the deepest side if cake is not exactly level) and cut the rest to that size. HTH

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #9 of 11

I use SPS too and love them but it sound like your dowels weren't cut the same size?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 11

"I was going to cover it with fondant, but am now thinking that it would be even more of a disaster with the weight of the fondant on it. "

I'm thinking they should've been covered with fondant before doweling....or was it supposed to be covered as a whole for some reason?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:59am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwoboyz

I have 9 inch layers stacked on top of each other with dowel rod supports between. I also have another 6 inch layer on top of those with dowel rod supports underneath. My cake is still leaning. I have rods that go top to bottom in 3 locations and it doesn't seam like it's helping much.

How many 9" layers do you have stacked?
Why do you have dowel rods in between these layers?
You don't need more than 1 dowel rod going the length of the cake.
Cakes should be covered in fondant prior to stacking.
Also, the 6" tier should be on a cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%