Royal Icing Help

Baking By Jmtreu98 Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm by cabecakes

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 5

OK..I see all these beautiful cookies done with Royal Icing/Cookie Icing.

I think I've tried every recipe there is and I still can't get that nice "Bubble" effect when you fill in an outline (I hope you know what I mean). When I get near the top of the outline, it just flows over or ends up being flat/sinks below the outline.

I've made my icing thicker, I've made it thinner, I've used toothpicks for filling in, blah, blah. I've done the trial and error MANY times and it just isn't happening.

Any suggestions???? I want to do cookies!!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

I do ALOT of color flow and royal icing "filling" and I find that a good starting point for successful color flow work is the outline size. I always use a tip #2 or 3 - depending on how detailed the item is but for cookies - I'd use a #3. After you do the outline - let that set for about 5 minutes to give it time to harden. Then I fill a small parchment bag with the color flow (consistency is key) and cut the tip of the bag about the size of a #2 tip opening. Start at one end and work side to side until the item is filled.

The way to check for the right consistency is - when mixing in the water - add a drop at a time when you think your close to the right consistency - after mixing the water in - lift your utensil out of the CF and let it drip off your utensil back into the color flow - the time it takes to incorporate back into the mixture is important - you want it to take at least a count of 10 to fully incorporate back in. If it takes less than that - it's too thin (more time - it's too thick).

I hope this helps you. It really is a wonderful technique to learn - don't get frustrated - practice will make perfect. thumbs_up.gif

BJ

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks BJ! I will try it and let you know the results.

I do appreciate your help! thumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 5

I got this great book, "Cookie Craft- From baking to luster dust" and I did my first cookies and they worked great! I used the wilton prepared RI to outline (but you could do your own thicker RI) and the book's recipe to flood and I used a squeeze bottle. Also, you could try adding 1-2 tsp of lemon juice to your RI recipe for flooding too - it was a huge, tasty success! Though, you may already know that taste trick...

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5

No, I didn't know about the lemon juice thing, will have to try that sometime. Thanks for the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%