How To Get Gold Like That?

Baking By cai0311 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm by LaBellaFlor

cai0311 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 17
16 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 17

Luster dust? Let the RI dry, then go back with a paint brush and luster dust over the parts you want gold. Or, maybe the luster dust was mixed in with the RI that she used for the painted parts. Hmmm, maybe someone knows for sure.

cai0311 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 17

I wondered if it was luster dust, but if you look close you will notice that the outline has brush indents, like when doing brush embroidery-which made me think that the RI is a really shiney gold color.

Anyone else?

LeanneW Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 17

you can make a "super gold" for piping but it's a bit pricey to do lots of it. mix gold highlighter/luster dust with vodka or clear extract into a paste consistency (lots of dust and a little liquid). then add piping gel to get to a piping consistency.

you can control how gold it is by adding more or less piping gel.

maybe this technique on the cookies was achieved by mixing the gold "paste" and then adding it to a small amount of RI.

I don't think just adding the luster dust to the RI would make it that gold unless you used a lot.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 17

Right, I think she did brush embroidery with RI first, then painted over it with the luster dust.

luv2bake6 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 17

How did she do her letters (monograms)?
I thought it was fondant but it really looks like RI. Would love to know how that's done.

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 17

I'm sorry, but I don't see any brush embroidery. I just just see the brush marks left from the brush, when you only color with a few layers. Was there are certain pic. that had the brush embroidery?

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 17

the monogram looks like colorflow/flooding to me.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 17

Well maybe it's not exactly brush embroidery, but she is using a brush and pulling the RI thin. For simplicity sake in this post, can we call it brush embroidery.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 17

These are definitely brush embroidery and they look similar to her autumn cookies. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=31289807

The monograms look like royal to me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 17

I'm just saying, cause the veining in the leaves is very solid. I don't see any pulling of the royal icing in the vening at all. I'm just trying to help make sure the cookie is replicated exact.

FromScratch Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 17

Some of them look like they were brushed out a bit... the picture you first go to when you click the link... the cookie to the far left that is flooded with red... that one looks like the RI is brushed out.

I'm sure it's just gone over with metallic dusts and vodka because there are two different colors... one that is gold and one that is bronze-y for the veins of the leaves.

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 17

Those cookies are brush embroidery and i don't think they look anything like the leaves. But okay. Sorry for stepping on your toes.

MBHazel Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 17

I think she just outlined the leaf and veining in royal icing and then just brushed gold dust (mixed with lemon flavoring or vodka. I use lemon).

Looks like the royal icing was colored dull red/brown.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 17

No toes stepped on. Everyone sees things differently. That's why the scratch/boxed debate gets so heated. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 17

The veining definitely isn't brushed out, but the outline is... that's what I see when I look at it anyway. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

No toes stepped on. Everyone sees things differently. That's why the scratch/boxed debate gets so heated. icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

icon_mad.gif It's embroidery! icon_evil.gif NO IT"S NOT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%