Satin Ice Nightmare

Decorating By cuteums Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 2:49am by prterrell

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, so the first time I tried Satin ice I bought the white, and it was terrible. Sticky, gooey, hard to work with. Since everyone raves about it I thought I'd give it another try. This time I needed black so I figured it would be easier to buy it already colored. Wrong. Sticky, gooey nightmare. I used a ton of cornstarch (nearly turned it gray defeating the purpose of black fondant) and it didn't help much. It tore easily, stuck to my mat, ugh. It took me 3 times as long to do a simple project with it. Am I doing something wrong here?

By the way, I love Pettinice. Rolls out beautifully and easily but doesn't come in colors. Only white and brown (chocolate). Any tips on making it a dark color?

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 14

I just bought my first batch of Satin Ice (20 lb. bucket) and I love it. I need almost NO cornstarch when rolling it out, it's the perfect consistency. I wonder if you got a bad batch? Is it hot or humid where you are?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 14

I experienced the same way when I first started Satin Ice but once I got used to it, it got easier. Now I am using Fondx and I am having so much problems with it.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 14

My issue with Satin Ice is that is cracks once it is on the cake. I has happened every time...kinda like elephant skin. Rolls out great, then gets dry and cracks. I've started steaming it but the cracks remain. I only use SI for dark colors, the rest of the time I make mmf but I think I need to find another brand.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

I've always used Satin Ice and it works great for me.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 14

Rylan,

What are you finding with the Fondx that you are having so many problems with it. I am going to order some as I am tired of what I am using now. I was going to order Fondx.

Thanks.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 14

I use Satin Ice and used to have the cracking problems at the corners until I changed my method of applying my fondant.

I grease my silicone mat with shortening. I then apply my gloves and coat my hands well with shortening before I start kneading the fondant. Maybe it's my environment but it seems that I need to add just a tad of shortening to Satin Ice to get it to the right consistency.

I don't use any cornstarch or powdered sugar. Just the shortening to roll it out on.

I then lift up the silicon mat and flip it over my cake, then peel off the mat. You get the nice smooth side on top then. I don't have any more cracks, and air bubbles are minimal.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #8 of 14

Peridot, I found it extremely soft and tears easily. I love the taste and all, just not happy with the consistency. I will only use it for Jennifer's fondant and on gumpaste from now on.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 14

I think it''s a personal preference. I prefer SatinIce. I like FondX too. Funny thing is, I don't like Pettinice at all! icon_smile.gif

I tend to use shortening when kneading or rolling out large sections of SatinIce. I even use SatinIce to make gumpaste, it's often humid here near the beach and commercial gumpaste doesn't always work for me. When I use this "gumpaste" I tend to use powdered sugar to roll out.

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 14

I just bought satin ice and found it to be sticky as well, and found that it cracks too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 14

Been using SatinIce for years. Love it. And I always roll out on a lightly greasd counter top. I NEVER ever use cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll on.

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 14

I just started using Fondx and I absolutely LOVE IT! I used to make my own MMF. Fondx taste great and rolls out very easily for me. I roll it out on a greased silicone mat and after I cover my cake, I dust it with a little cornstarch to smooth it down (Sharon Zambito method). You have to work with it pretty fast though because it dries quickly.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Been using SatinIce for years. Love it. And I always roll out on a lightly greasd counter top. I NEVER ever use cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll on.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #14 of 14

Love love love Satin Ice. I, too, use shortening to knead and roll it. Never had a problem with it cracking. I have hot hands, and that sometimes makes it soft, but I just let it rest and after a few minutes it's ready to be used. I hope to get a marble board sometime in the near future, that will help counteract my hot hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%