So I'm Just Curious. . .

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm by Texas_Rose

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

If Royal Icing tastes so bad (which mine does) how come it is so widely used to decorate cookies etc. . wouldn't the cookie just taste nasty with all that RI on there?

Maybe I did something wrong, but the batch of icing I made was just gross. Which got me thinking about all the beautiful cookies I've seen decorated with it and wondering how 'good' that can really taste.

Same goes for the cake decorations etc.

Any thoughts?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 7

I use Loranns Cotton Candy flavoring in my RI icing..Tatses yummy!!! Also check the meringue you are usung..Wiltons smells and tastes horrible.I use meringue powder from CK and it smells like vanilla.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 7

My kids and everyone I've made cookies for love the taste of my cookies and royal. I make sure to use real butter and pure extract in the cookies. The royal I use antonias recipe with chefmaster meringue and use 2tsp flavoring usually 1 1/tsp vannilaa and 1/t almond-no imitation flavoring. Sometimes I use the Lorann Princess Bouquet which everyone loves as well, has a bit of a lemon taste.

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 7

hmm . . well maybe next time I will try adding some flavor to it! Thanks!

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

I agree I do not like to ice my cookies with royal icing. It's so hard! Even my kindergarteners were like "teacher this cookie is nasty" I make my own icing now with ps, corn syrup and almond extract. It dries firm enough to stack and bag and then I just decorate the little details with ri. It tastes so much better!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 7

I think a plain NFSC tastes bland. I think RI by itself tastes bad. I think the combination of the two is heaven on earth!

I also use CK brand MP; I add vanilla to my RI.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 7

I don't care for RI on cookies...my ideal cookie frosting would be something that tasted like lofthouse sugar cookie icing but behaved well enough to be stacked, bagged, etc...not likely to happen anytime soon, so I put marshmallow fondant on my cookies and then just use RI for the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%