Chocolate Transfer Help Please. . .

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm by JenniferMI

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 13

So now that I have done my first chocolate transfer I am in LOVE!

I have a cake due tomorrow that will have black sillhouette's of a poodle around the bottom tier. My original idea was to do black fondant but it isn't turning out how I wanted it to. I am having to cut it out with my razer (not cutout) and the edges aren't smooth and I'm just not happy with it.

So then I though the chocolate transfer would give me the clean look i am after, plus I really want to do more to practice. But here is my concern. . .How will I stick the chocolate to the cake without it falling off? It is heavier than fondant and isn't sticky like fondant can be, so how do I do this? Just use buttercream behind it?

Any help is MUCH appreciated! i couldn't do this without you girls!

12 replies
ambernd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 13

buttercream should hold it on fine, but i think the only concern would be that you transfer will be flat and your cake will be curved, unless you are doing a square cake?

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 13

Yes that was my NEXT concern. . LOL

No I am using a 10 in, round. My thought for this process is that I am going to do the transfer on the side of the pan, hoping it will dry with a slight curve to it.

What do you think? Does that sound like it would work?

bbmom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 13

I would use a dab of the melted chocolate to stick it on.

ambernd Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 13

In theory it should work, if everything lines up just right, you may have to adjust the buttercream depth behind it to make it fit just right. Good Luck I have never done a rounded on before, maybe someone else would know better what to do thereicon_smile.gif

sugaah Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 13

So, for my information, a chocolate transfer sheet is not flexible to begin with? It will not conform to a curve easily? Let me know before I purchase them!! Thanx

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 13

I am not using a chocolate transfer sheet, so I don't know how those work.

I am just going to put wax paper taped to the pan and fill in my design and pray it forms the right way! LOL I think with the buttercream to fill in any gaps between the chocolate and cake should be just fine. (I hope anyway)

This should be interesting!

KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 13

you should be fine........I would just glue it on with a little dab of bc if your bc isn't crusted when you put them on it should stick nicely just to the cake itself. Here is a cake I did with chocolate transfers on the side. I did exactlly lilke you're saying, let them harden on the side of the pan.
LL

forheavenscake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 13

Perfect! Thanks! (super cute cake btw!)

KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 13

thanks...........they didn't end up being "exactlly" a perfect fit but I just squirted a little bc on the backs and smooshed em' up there and they were fine. They weren't off enough for anyone to notice anyhow

forheavenscake Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 13

I had to do the same (see the finished product in my photos). They were So super fragile! Next time I'll try to make them a little thicker, but they did the job. I love learning, but hate this trial and error stage. LOL

Thanks for all the help!

JanelleH Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #12 of 13

If chocolate is not a requirement, you could use black colorflow icing (basically thin Royal Icing). Just do it on the same shape pan as you are baking your cake in.

JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 13

I love using CTs.... I usually attach them with dots of buttercream so they stick up from the surface of the cake. Or, if you want them standing, attach to a stick with melted choc.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%