Need A Little Pep Talk - Please!

Decorating By JenWhitlock Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm by tinygoose

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 10

ok. I hope it's ok to lean on you folks - you have all been so awesome to me over the years.

I need to do my first 3D car cake today [1939 Plymouth]
(I have done carved cakes before, but not this intricate).
I think that I can do it, but I have some serious butterflies!

I've looked at some of the car carving tutorials - THANK YOU!
but if there is anyother sage words that you can offer - I'm all ears... well eyes, I guess, lol

thank you!

9 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 10

I am sorry - I don't have any suggestions or hints or anything to give you - BUT......I just looked at your photos and OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! You cakes and COOKIES are fantastic!!! OMG AGAIN! The cookies are something else - beautiful, flawless, wonderful works of art!!!

So once again - sorry that I am of no help with the car.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 10

Oh my by the talent you have based on what you have posted you can SOOOOO do this! You are incredible. I've only done one carved car not incredibly detailed shape wise. All I can offer is take little bits at a time no huge chunks. At least that worked for me. I was constantly looking at pics and checking as I went along. Good luck!

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 10

I did a car cake recently and the two things I noted for my future self were:
-Use modeling chocolate under the fondant for the fine details.
-Fondant sticks really well to modeling chocolate, so if you use it for the windows put a barrier of Crisco down or be prepared to paint over the chocolate/fondant globs.

You can see the results in my photos. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully well!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 10

I have done two car cakes for the grand kids ugh.....make sure you have a good strong support system to keep the car up off the board.....refrigerate the car a good long time after its carved to receive the fondant....then you can lift back off if need be.....allow plenty of time...........I thought stiff clear plastic worked well for windshield, only I positioned it wrong duh.....well if you look at mine it will help you on what NOT to do hahaha.that would help.....I am sure you will do great...good luck

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 10

My only advice is to have a board that supports the whole bottom of the cake. I did a Jaguar cake a while back and didn't support the ends at first, and they started to sag. I had to stick supports under the ends at the last minute.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 10

OMG. if anyone can do it you can!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 10

Sending cake carving angels your way....

Mike McCarey has a DVD out on this subject...

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 10

Jen - you are AWESOME! This is going to be a piece of cake for you! Seriously!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 10

You can do this, your work is incredible. Just study the car, if you haven't already. Place it near you when you work. Step back and look at it often. Measure the "model". How many cent. from front to windshield, windshield to car seat, etc. Tire to tire and so on. Figure out the ratio and go from there. Cake decorating is 80% vision and 20% practice, or so I've heard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%