Numerous Domain Names

Business By sweetcakes Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm by traceym

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 3

I dont know how this works, but can you have a website and have several differant www.______ addresses that take you all to the same website. How do you pay for that? i mean to have a website (which i have) is a monthly fee, do i just have to pay for the domain names and just link them to my site. Can someone explain in simple terms, icon_smile.gif thanks, icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 3

When I first decided that I wanted to work from home, I thought about different things I could do to make money and did up a draft layout of how I wanted my website to look showing different products and services. I contracted the services of a local website management company who took my ideas and made them into a real website. My wedding cakes were only one small part of it at the time so the name we used was a more generic name. That's our "main" website link, still active today. I still pay them a yearly fee to manage the account.

Over the past couple of years, my wedding cake business outgrew all of the other things I initially offered so we personally bought another website name from Netfirms (less than $20 a year) for Classy Cakes. Netfirms gives us the option in their toolbar to link this classy cakes site to our "main" website so anyone going to classy cakes is automatically directed to our other website.

So, yes, it can be done and I'm living proof! One of these days, I may just drop the first one and use only the classy cakes site, but right now I find it's a double whammy for us because it seems to have doubled our exposure.

Good luck with your website!

traceym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceym Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 3

You just buy the multiple domains and have them forwarded to where ever you want. For example at godaddy you can buy several and in the sign up there is a place asking if you want it forwarded (can't remember the official terminology, it's been 2 years since I did it). This is a good idea if you have a common name or one that is easily mispelled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%