Will Wax Paper Work?

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm by Darth_Aerdna

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 7

Could someone please tell me if wax paper will work as a barrier between satin ribbon and buttercream? If not, what?

6 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 7

I have not tried it but I understand if you iron the waxy side of the paper against the back of the ribbon, using a low setting it will work. I'll give you a bump maybe someone else can be of more help.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 7

I have never tried the waxed paper method. I'll have to give it a try. I did read a tip somewhere, (can't recall if on CC or not), to spray the whole ribbon with Pam first, then wipe with paper towel. You sort of "head disaster off at the pass" as it were, for no oily stains can now mar the color. It is a little messy, I had to do it outside in good weather, but I was pleased with the result. Hope this helps and maybe gives you another option.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 7

Go get some clear contact paper at Walmart. It's with the home stuff - like the pillows and dishes. I think it's because a lot of people use contact paper to line their shelves.

Anyway, put the contact paper on the back of the ribbon. It will prevent the grease from soaking through the ribbon.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

I have not tried it but I understand if you iron the waxy side of the paper against the back of the ribbon, using a low setting it will work. I'll give you a bump maybe someone else can be of more help.

These directions are exactly right. The wax side of the paper will attach itself to the ribbon and not only provide a barrier, but some stability to the ribbon as well.

The Pam idea works as well, but will darken the ribbon somewhat.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 7

Contact paper is not food safe so I'd stick with ironing on the wax paper.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 7

I tried to iron wax paper to the back of a ribbon for the wedding cake in my photos.
It did leave some of the wax on the ribbon but not enough to keep the grease from bleeding through the ribbon.

In the end I decided to cut strips of the wax paper and wrap them around the cake, then cover the wax paper with the ribbon- I had no problems with doing that.

HTH!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%