Cutting/leveling The Sides Of Cakes ???....

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm by sadsmile

Mikel79 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All!

For those of you who have Sharon Zambito's "Flawless Fondant" DVD and use the techniques, I have a question about cutting the sides of a cake with a very sharp knife to get rid of the cake bulging (not from the filling, but from the settling) by using the knife straight against the cake and cutting around.

My cake I am icing tonight has a slight bulge at the very bottom, at the base of the cake due to settling. This is NOT a filling issue, the filling is in tact. Sharon mentions to use a "DENSE" cake. The cake I have used is a "Boxed" German Choc. cake. Can you answer these questions?...

1.Can you do this if your cake is going to be covered in BUTTERCREAM not fondant?

2. Will I have any issues cutting this cake since it is a "Boxed" cake?

3.If I leave the bulge will the bulge be noticeable after I ice it?

Thank you,

6 replies
ChRiStY_71 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 7

If it's noticeable before you ice it, it will be noticeable after you ice it in my experience.

sweetcakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 7

since it is a boxed mix it may be a bit fragile and crumble some. lightly freeze it before you trim off the sides.

karensue Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

I trim all my cakes before icing in buttercream or fondant.

Mikel79 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 7

karensue.....

Do you use boxed cakes?

Amylou Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was going to ask a related question about this!

I watched the video awhile back and have trimmed my cakes a few times, but keep having trouble. I'm wondering what kind of knife everyone uses. My cake is dense so I'm thinking it's the knife/knives. I've used a few and can't seem to find the perfect one to get a clean cut.

sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 7

Christy and sweetcakes are right. And you should try to use a knife that cuts cleanly through your cake and does not drag. A thin sharp blade is my weapon of choice for how I cut. Next time you are serving up a few slices pull out a few knives and see which one you work best with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%