Can I Freeze Imbc???

Decorating By still_learning Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm by Nellical

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 5

I was in the middle of making a cake due for Saturday morning and just got the call that the party is canceled (birthday boy has a fever of 103) and rescheduled for next weekend. I torted and iced the cakes last night with IMBC so I'm not sure if I can freeze the cakes at this point. I know lots of people freeze already iced cakes but I didn't know if IMBC would be OK with the egg whites. What do you guys think - anyone ever done it?

Also - these cakes will be covered in fondant for the final design - would they stay fresher if I covered them with fondant and then froze them. Would that make the fondant icky? As you can tell I've never frozen a cake before so any advice on wrapping and storing would also be appreciated! icon_eek.gif

Thanks for your help!!!

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can freeze the IMBC filled and covered cakes. It won't necessarily make the cake stay fresher by covering with fondant then freezing. The fondant can become icky if not brought to room temperature gradually....either remove from freezer to fridge overnight then to counter (I recommend it remaining in a box during fridge and counter time) or place fans to help reduce the accumulation of condensation. I would place cake in box then wrap box REALLY WELL if you don't have a designated freezer/fridge. I don't apply wrap directly to iced cake surface...others do and they have success.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply! I was worried that the egg whites in the IMBC would be a problem for freezing. Is there any reason that you don't wrap the cake directly? I don't have a cake box around so I was thinking of putting plastic wrap right on the icing - is that a bad idea? Thanks for the tips on defrosting. If I do wrap with plastic directly onto the cake should I leave the plastic on for defrosting or unwrap it first? Does freezing change the taste at all? Now I need to find freezer space!

Thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 5

I just don't like the impressions it leaves or the possibility of removing any on the icing. I would remove it before...otherwise the softened icing might stick to the wrap.

Maybe you could search the forums for successfully freezing or thawing cakes. I'm sure those who do the wrapping thing have posted in them.

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 5

You can wrap the cake after it has frozen. This will keep the IMBC from sticking to the plastic wrap. So freeze the cakes unwrapped first, then wrap.

When you are ready to defrost, remove the cake from the freezer, remove the plastic wrap and then put the cakes in the refrigerator until it has defrosted. You can do this process at night before bed so that the cakes are defrosted in the morning.

If you are going to cover them with fondant, take them out of the refrigerator an hour before covering and let them warm to room temp a little before putting the fondant on.

The trick with wrapping a cake is to never let the IMBC get thawed out so it doesn't stick to the plastic wrap.

Nel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%