How Can I Fit 150 Servings In 5 Cakes?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 12:51am by Sweet_Guys

aminaz Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 9

a lady has requested a wedding cake for 150 people. however she wants 5 square cakes so it will look high and grand. what sizes will the cakes have to be? i really need to know by today so if someone can really help me out!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 9

4",6",8",10",12" cake will give you 178 (170 without the top tier) servings according to my charts.

Here is a cake I did that was those same exact sizes so you can see how they look together.
LL
LL

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 9

(big sigh). God luv those cake civilians who want to tell us how many servings they want AND how many cakes THEY think it will entail.

Most of the time, they can have 150 servings OR a 5 tier cake. I hate messing with 6" cakes and I will not screw around with a 4" cake. (KHalstead, your cake is beautiful and I am in awe of the work you did on a 4" cake.)

WHen I've had people tell me, "I want X servings and Y tiers.", I have told them, "Well, let's see if you can have that many tiers with only that many servings."

KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 9

indy I really HATE the 4" cakes too..........normally I round down wilton's charts...but for the 4" cakes........I say they serve 8 because I hate them so much that I want to get as much money out of it as I can LOL. I just recently had to do another cake with a 4" top. I should stop telling them it's even an option, but I get figuring out stuff for them and I just really want to make their wedding cake everything they've dreamed.

Although, I have mentioned covering a box with a tablecloth and raising the cake up by 8" to make it look "more grand" than it is to some that had completely unrealistic ideas about the cakes.

KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 9

indy I really HATE the 4" cakes too..........normally I round down wilton's charts...but for the 4" cakes........I say they serve 8 because I hate them so much that I want to get as much money out of it as I can LOL. I just recently had to do another cake with a 4" top. I should stop telling them it's even an option, but I get figuring out stuff for them and I just really want to make their wedding cake everything they've dreamed.

Although, I have mentioned covering a box with a tablecloth and raising the cake up by 8" to make it look "more grand" than it is to some that had completely unrealistic ideas about the cakes.

Oh and indy.........that 4" cake on the top was NOTHING compared to covering that little 3",2", and 1" stacked (single layers) cake they had me make for their DOGS!! yep.......for the dogs. I even made it with dog safe ingredients lol crazy!

aminaz Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for your replies. the thing is in our community, the whole cake is served. so the top tier is included in the serving.

vdrsolo Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 9

If she wants a 5 tier cake, she's going to have to pay for the number of servings that it serves. Period.

KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 9

well regardless of whether they serve the top tier or not, they have to pay for it.

I would say if you want to mess with the 4" top cake (they're small so they can be tricky to decorate), then the 4,6,810,12" is gonna be your only option.....any less difference between tiers and it will look odd. That's the smallest 5 tiered cake you're gonna get.

Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #9 of 9

K---

I'm confused...Wouldn't the 4" serve 8 anyway? By my calculation, cute the cake in half (2" slices), then cut each half into four (1" each) for a total of eight 4"x1"x2".

Did I miss something? (It's late and it's been a long week so I may have!)

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%