How To Fix Cracked Buttercream?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 12:14am by madgeowens

sheilabelle Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I made a 11 x 15 sheet yesterday and moved it today. After I set it down there is a crack in the middle of the cake (buttercream). Is there a way to fix this? I think that the problem is that the cake board is not strong enough. Should I use a double layer of cake board or something else? I hate to use my masonite boards. I have a hard time getting them back from people. TIA

Sheila

7 replies
sewgratefulquilts Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 8

I'm interested in see others answers. I don't know but I have read that if you put 1 or 2 drops of white vinegar in your buttercream when making it, it won't crack. I tried it once and it didn't crack, but then, maybe it wouldn't have anyway. Don't know.

dutchy1971 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 8

you're right you're board isn't strong enough, I've had this happen to me when I was taking classes, my instructor told us to use double thickness boards on any size sheet cake.

BJ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 8

Any ideas on how to fix the cracks??? icon_surprised.gif
I've had this happen on large sheet cakes even when using plywood cake boards (covered of course - haha) and masonite boards. icon_cry.gif

Mizuki Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 8

Always add a little vinegar to your icing. I don't know why that works, but it does! Also, use a sturdier board as others suggested.

Now, for the what to do once it's already happened:
If you have a crusting BC (I use sugarshack's recipe, and this is what works for me) you can use a piece of regular computer paper as sand paper.
Just tear off a little bit and gently rub in over your crack. Wait..that sounded really bad!! icon_redface.gif Gently rub it over the crack on your cake (whew, that's better!) and it will help smooth it out. It won't fix it completely, but it does a pretty good job. thumbs_up.gif
Good luck!!

BJ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the belly laugh (and the help)!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 8

Most likely it is that board but.........if it happens even when you are using a strong board (dbl thickness or masionite) then what you need to do is add a bit more shortening/butter to the recipe.

madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

Always add a little vinegar to your icing. I don't know why that works, but it does! Also, use a sturdier board as others suggested.

Now, for the what to do once it's already happened:
If you have a crusting BC (I use sugarshack's recipe, and this is what works for me) you can use a piece of regular computer paper as sand paper.
Just tear off a little bit and gently rub in over your crack. Wait..that sounded really bad!! icon_redface.gif Gently rub it over the crack on your cake (whew, that's better!) and it will help smooth it out. It won't fix it completely, but it does a pretty good job. thumbs_up.gif
Good luck!!

watch those paper cuts

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%