Ganache - Blend Of Milk & Semisweet

Baking By grandmom Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 9:00am by grandmom

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:43am
post #1 of 6

I've only used white chocolate ganache before. On my next cake I want to use a dark chocolate ganache, but I don't want to use 100% semisweet, as the cake will be for both children and adults, and these kids don't really like dark chocolate so much. So I thought I might blend some milk chocolate with the semisweet to tone it down.

Does anyone have any idea on the ratios of milk chocolate, semisweet chocolate and cream for such a blend?

TIA

5 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:32am
post #2 of 6

I always use milk chocolate and semisweet cos i hate dark chocolate. I just do half of each type of chocolate and then the cream, am not also into measuring exactly , just does what feels right.

grandmom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, solascakes. I'm the other way - I am kind of precise by nature and always measure! Anyone else have any idea of the ratios, please?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #4 of 6

I use 2 different ganache recipes. Both are very good, but the second recipe is shelf stable longer and also more lighter in texture that is WONDERFUL as a filling. I make a peanut butter chip and chocolate chip recipe, so mixing two types of chocolate would work just by halving the total amount.

Example, one recipe calls for 8 oz chocolate, so if you want a balance I would use 4oz each dark and milk to 3/4 c. heavy cream 2 tbsp. unsalted butter. Heat the cream and butter to a boil, pour over chocolate that has been put in a stainless steel bowl, let set about 5 minutes so chocolate melts, wisk til smooth.

The recipe I use the most is 12 oz chocolate ( 6oz peanut butter chips and 6 oz semi-sweet chips) or half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet, 8 oz unsalted butter and 2 tbsp. corn syrup. Put chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a stainless steel bowl, place over a saucepan with simmering water, stir til all are melted and smooth. Can be poured over cake like a typical ganache or cover bowl and put in fridge until thickens and whip with a wisk and use as a filling or as truffles.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #5 of 6

Are you just using the ganache as the final layer? or are you thinking to cover the ganache with fondant?

If it is the latter those ratios will be wrong as it won't "set" enough to made a firm base for your fondant.

With the "under the fondant" type of ganache - you can pretty much interchange the dark for the milk using the 2:1 ratio

I stick with 3:1 for white chocolate and the above (dark/milk) in times of when I might want a bit of extra stability eg. warmer weather conditions

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:00am
post #6 of 6

I will be covering with fondant. And it's always humid in Kentucky, so I will try the 2:1 ratio. Thanks for the clarification, ApplegumKitchen.

And thank you, helli0h. Your recipes sound delicious! I've been looking for another peanut butter filling recipe - I'm trying your pb ganache next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%