Why Are There No Free Gumpaste 'people' Tutorials?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 3:19am by lovely

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 25

I'm just curious about this. Is it because most people learn to make gumpaste people through paid tutorials, and thus cannot share that information? That's the only reason I can think of.

I have not used any tutorials myself when making gumpaste people. So, would I be able to provide a free tutorial on how to make them? I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but at the same time I can see how the information may be helpful to people who can't otherwise purchase a tutorial.
FTR, I said that I would purchase Aine2's tutorials myself if my attempts at gumpaste people went horribly awry. Luckily, I think my attempts weren't too bad, considering I was doing them completely free hand and looking at other figures for inspiration. I decided to give it a try myself, because I originally couldn't find a free tutorial.

Just curious why there are no free tutorials out there.

24 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 25

Check youtube.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 25

I don't think she was feeling entitled...she was offering to create a tutorial icon_biggrin.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:38am
post #4 of 25

Well there are free tutorials on everything else SO WHY NOT on people? How is that any different than flowers or any other sort of decorating. I mean we have all paid to take classes of some sort and then find it for free someplace else.....so why not people??? Are they such a sacred commodity that you can't do free tuuts on them? JMO.....

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:38am
post #5 of 25

She says she hates people, I think she really may hahaha....
check you tube, there are some there......and we all use them....thats what they are there for.......some people like to teach and help others.......good luckicon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Why should there be? Do you feel entitled to free tuturials?

Sit down with your gumpaste and experiment.

Clearly my post went right over your head. icon_confused.gif Read it again, then come back with another 'pearl of wisdom'. icon_lol.gif

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:30am
post #7 of 25

I dont see where there is any whining or sense of entitlement in this post. Just someone wanting to offer a tutorial on gumpaste people.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:03am
post #8 of 25

MrsNancyB, If you would like to share on how to do gumpaste figurines, I for one would be thankful. I have done a few but I still have trouble when it comes to one standing.

I have done the toothpicks, wires and other things to keep the legs from sliding down...but they seem to still slide down. Not as bad as they use to, but they still slide some.

IMHO, I feel that a lot of people would welcome a tutorial on making gumpaste figurines. Thats part of what makes CC a great place, sharing what we know and learning from others. Teaching, learning and sharing thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:42am
post #9 of 25

I didn't see or hear any whining or sense of entitlement. You must have read something into that on the subject line. Rather snarky comment though. Again WHY can't there be free tutorials? It was a question....and my answer is ....THERE CAN BE....post your own people tutorial for others. Its a free country ( USA)....Do it !!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:12am
post #10 of 25

I dont see anything wrong with wanting to to make your own tutorial, i think it could be helpful, benefical to others. But i also think , if you want to learn how to do these, then investing in certain peoples tutorials is a fantastic way to go.

I have not had the chance to purchase such things as lorriane mckays people tutorial as i simply cant afford it right now, But i know those who have, have benefited realy well from it , And i think good for lorraine for wanting to make a profit on it, Her tutorials actually arent expensive, a great value for what you get, so i think if you really want to learn, its worth investing a little .

I learn by repetition, and have the likes of youtube to look over and over when i need to has been a fantastic source of help to me, and alot of people also i would imagine icon_smile.gif I say go for it, make a tutorial, Why not, im sure people would apreciate it.

natnay2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natnay2006 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:41am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

MrsNancyB, If you would like to share on how to do gumpaste figurines, I for one would be thankful. I have done a few but I still have trouble when it comes to one standing.

I have done the toothpicks, wires and other things to keep the legs from sliding down...but they seem to still slide down. Not as bad as they use to, but they still slide some.

hey i havent been cake decorating for very long maybe a year here and there. But have you ever tried doing the legs first through wire than lying them down on foam and letting them completely dry. Thats what I would try havent tried it yet and as I said I havent been cake decorating very long but I have done a few figures sitting down and plan to try one standing up soon. Also dont know if you do this but do your people in piece by piece always let it dry over night before you do the next bit. Dont know if you understand me or if this even helps but I thought Id try and help.

Also to anyone who cant say something contructive than dont speak we dont need negative and horrible people out there this world is already bad enough as it is.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 25

I think that if someone spends a lot of time putting together a toturial and they want to be compensated for it (such as if they mail out disks and such) then they should. For anyone that has done a toturial it can be very time consuming, from taking the pictures during the process and then typing it all out or even filming all the videos.

I think that is great that there are people that are willing to share information for free as well. Look at all the great how to's and articles here on this site and around the web. Not everyone can afford to buy all the extra how to videos, so having free sources can be great as well. When I had a website years ago, I had serveral little how to's on cakes I did, because I felt that others could benifit from it.

If you want to share something, then no one can stop you. If it is your way based off many different other ways out there or things you have figured out along the way then please share it. I think the only way this would be a issue is if you took someone elses directions and did exactly as they did, especially if you ended up charging for them.

There are so many different ways to do things out there, that I think having another way for people to learn with, work with and adapt for thier use is great.

For those that are getting into figures and such, I do think that clay directions can be great to use as well. You have to change a few things in them to keep it edible, but since fondant/gumpaste is like clay, you can use them as a bases. The scarecrow in my photos was from clay directions.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 25

Thanks everyone who understood what I was asking in my OP! icon_lol.gif

Well, I am planning to make a stand-up Frankenstein figure wearing a tattered purple jacket. If it turns out OK, then I will likely make a tutorial on youtube about how to make people. Just as there are a lot of tutorials on how to make flowers, it's surprising that there is no information out there for making people.

My figures are no where near the professional level of Aine2's. My figures are quite simple in comparison, so I would only be providing the basics of how to make simple clothes, faces, etc. If people want more detail, then I believe Aine2's tutorials are a better choice.

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 25

I would love to see your tutorial!! I have never been good at figurines. It's always helpule to see how someone else does something.

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 25

well I think your cupcake girl is just fab! I would love to know how you do the face so well as I keep trying to get my faces like that and fail every time!!!

I find it quite sad that regularly when mensh feels the need to reply to threads it is generally in an argumentative/confrontational tone....really no need! Frequently her obviously pent up anger is tossed out there without properly reading what the actual post is about!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 25

I cannot do faces either - they always look like - ohhh sort of like an elf or something. MrsMancyB - it would be wonderful if you did a free tutorial about making a gumpaste person - especially the facial features. I have purchased a lot of DVD's and tutorials and I can't keep buying everything especially since I seldom do people. Probably because mine are always a failure.

Can you pm me if you do so?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I cannot do faces either - they always look like - ohhh sort of like an elf or something.

Just remember if you keep them whimsical, then they don't have to be totally realistic. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 25

Yep, grab yer camera and have at it. Sounds fun, I'd like to do stuff like this too, but do not have the time or the patience to listen to my own voice whilst editing. icon_biggrin.gif

lbejjani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbejjani Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #19 of 25

I found some links for free gumpaste face tutorials. I hope it will help you, MrsNancy.

http://www.how2cakes.com/face.html

http://bakingproject.com/2008/06/

http://cakes.anniesartbook.com/search/label/tutorials

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

i am searching for free or paid gumpaste figurine/face tutorials or books. could anyone suggest a book or a link? thank you.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #20 of 25

Search for polymer clay tutorials instead. Or go on google.ca and search for polymer clay in the book section. There is also a polymer clay central with tutorials.

lbejjani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbejjani Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #21 of 25

thank you so much!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #22 of 25

I actually have a huge compilation that I will be posting soon. I'll post it once I feel that it is enough.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #23 of 25

Again rylan thanks for taking time to help cc members compiling a list. You have helped my cake friends and I (we are hearing impaired).

Can't wait to see your gumpaste tutorial list.

Hope you enjoyed the holiday season!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #24 of 25

If you check in Lindy Smith's books, she often has gumpaste people with instructions on how to do them.

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #25 of 25

oooohh..I would love for a free tutorial..you could add it in the articles list here. aine has kindly on many forums around the world posted free instructions. Her paid tutorials are fantastic for that specific thing she is making. I appreciate all and any tutorials. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%