Help - Cake Due Tomorrow!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 5:40am by CarolAnn

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 14

I have my first paid cake due tomorrow, so of course something had to go wrong... I cannot get this canon to stay up! I used a lollipop stick as a dowel and the canon is an oreo cookie straw covered in fondant. I have tried everything (extra cake to support, fondant, melted choc etc) and gutted the front of the cake in the process. I really thought the canon would be the easy part and it's become the bain of my existence!

Can this be salvaged and how? Or do I need to throw in the towel and just re-do the top? If so, I'm still stuck with the problem of keeping that canon up. And I really have a lot more to do and very little time...

Any suggestions would be sooo helpful. Thanks! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

13 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 14

I would take the canon out, patch up the top of the tank.

Then I would cut a dowel/lolli stick/what-have-you and stick it on the top part of the tank, but underneath where the canon would stick out, so that it is supporting the canon, but still hidden in the cake. Then put the canon in, and probably stick it in farther. (hope this is understandable!)

I think part of the prob is that the lengthy part of the canon is too far out of the cake so it keeps falling, and needs to be pushed farther in.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 14

can you move it lower into the tank? It looks too high...then maybe it will stay put???

madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:49am
post #4 of 14

Try sticking a lolipop or skewer from the back into the cake and thread it right into the oreo straw in front

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #5 of 14

Push it farther in and up and stick an straw with the lollipop stick in it for extra support. Good luck

madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:51am
post #6 of 14

one other idea....maybe the oreo straw is too heavy....can you make it out of snything else? rice krispy treats....how about wrap fondant around a drinking straw/something lighter in weight...hth good luck

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #7 of 14

This link might help...http://cakecentral.com/articles/

cakesrock Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:31am
post #8 of 14

Thanks all for your helpful advice! I will try some of the suggestions...I think I may have to give up on the edible canon, though. I'll post a photo when done. Great article - wish I had seen it BEFORE I made the cake!

cakesrock Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #9 of 14

Thanks to your suggestions, I managed to salvage the cake and keep the canon edible. I ended up using a meat skewer and driving it further back into the top layer.

The important thing is that the b-day boy loved it and so did his girlfriend (my co-worker) who ordered it!
LL
LL

madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #10 of 14

WOWEE...........................THATS AWESOME................You really pulled this pff...........it looks great.I bet he loved it.........glad it turned out a winner icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #11 of 14

Good save! thumbs_up.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:00am
post #12 of 14

Looks really good, nobody will know what you went through, congratulations, great save!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:12am
post #13 of 14

Wow - that's an awesome saveicon_smile.gif When I saw the before picture I thought...well I guess she's going to be up until 2:00 am rebaking that upper portion of the tank - great workicon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #14 of 14

Nice job! So glad you got it all worked out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%