Convection Oven And Cupcakes...help!!!!

Baking By c21728 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm by ApplegumKitchen

c21728 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 4

I just rented a commercial kitchen and it has a convection oven that I am quite certian is going to be the death of me. I have a wonderful recipe for the most moist red velvet cupcakes and in this oven they are getting a crunchy top and are baking at an angle. I think I have solved the angle issue, but the crunchy top is beyond me. I have tried lowering the temp by quite a bit, but it is not helping.

Any suggestions??? I really need the help with this one.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Nicki

3 replies
ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:32am
post #2 of 4

Not sure whether this will help because we are on different continents BUT I had exactly the same issue recently and ended up ringing R&D from a couple of bakeries & oven manufacturers trying to solve my problem - the top flipped on an angle such like you are describing.

I was advised to turn the fan OFF on the oven (if you can) for the first 10mins - increase the temp (I was baking at 160'C) to 180'C for those first 10 mins then to turn the fan on and drop the temp back down for the remainder of the cook cycle.

IT WORKED !! All beautiful domes!

Cakechick123 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:54am
post #3 of 4

the fan can cause the cuppies to get a crooked top, mine almost looks like an Elvis hairstyle icon_lol.gif
turnignt he fan off for the 1st couple of min really works
Dont know about the crust tho

ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 4

YES! perfect description.... an Elvis top!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%