Suggestions For Eyes...

Decorating By Mrs_MandM Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 2:57am by Mrs_MandM

Mrs_MandM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! This is my first post here! =)

I tried to search the site w/o luck.

I'm a beginner at cake decorating (disclaimer - lol!) - I'm actually in the first Wilton class right now.

Anyways, I am making a 3D spider cake for an event this weekend. I made the head and body out of stainless steel mixing bowls and they came out great. I plan to get pipe cleaners to bend for legs and use a simple star tip to decorate w/ black frosting. But I have NO idea what to do for eyes on the spider. I don't just want to use a plain ol' white circle, but I just can't figure out what to do. Any suggestions? TIA!

5 replies
Kitagrl Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

I guess I'd probably make big round black eyes that round out a bit...and then put a tiny white speck of fondant for a "glint" on each one, up towards the top of each eyeball....?

danhalbel Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 6

Hey there! I would suggest using some type of round M&M's....depending on the size of your spider. I would use red M&M's and paint a black circle in the center. I would put them in place and then paint them. Good luck!

snocilla Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central!

I think this lady does awesome eyes. I PMed her and she said she just cuts out a piece of fondant and paints the eyes on it. You can paint with icing coloring, mixed with either vodka or lemon extract.

prterrell Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 6

Cinnamon imperials (aka red hots).

Mrs_MandM Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #6 of 6

Thank you! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%