Round Shape Without Ball Pan

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 12:51am by Rachie204

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 10

I am wanting to do a cake similar to this one for one of my husbands friends at work...I dont have the ball pan...what would be the best way to get the golf ball shape?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_6963.html

9 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 10

The ball pan isn't really expensive esp if you use a coupon at the local craft store....

But otherwise I'd just make a nice tall round cake (or a layer cake) and gently carve away the sides and top until it makes a half a ball shape. Just a little bit at a time until its even.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #3 of 10

If you have an oven proof pyrex bowl you can bake it in that - just need two and stick them togethericon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

If you have an oven proof pyrex bowl you can bake it in that - just need two and stick them togethericon_smile.gif

this has worked for me as well only i used an oven proof ceramic bowl.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 10

I have also baked in stainless steel bowls before, that is how my daughter made her igloo cake in my photos.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:38am
post #6 of 10

either bake in a glass bowl or bake a round cake and trim of the edges till you are happy with the shape

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 10

Rookie question I'm sure....but if you bake in a glass bowl how do you deal with the flat part (from the bottom of the bowl)? do you just heap on buttercream to round it out?

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 10

my bowl is domed inside, the flat bottom is on the outside. i got it at target on the cheap.
hth

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 10

if your bow isn't a perfectr dome just shape the top after baking icon_smile.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 10

It has been awhile since this forum started but I wanted to update. I just needed a small ball (golf ball) so I took one of the auminum disposable cup cake tins I had on hand and rounded out the bottom...I then baked some cupcakes and took on and used it. It worked very well. Thanks for your responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%