Cracking Fondant Help!!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm by Karenelli

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a 3-tier baby shower cake for this weekend. The bottom tier is a 10" square dummy cake. All 3 tiers are to be covered in fondant. I went to cover the bottom tier tonight & the fondant teared & ripped right off. Any ideas why & how I can stop it from tearing??? PLEASE help!!!

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 8

Were you trying to cover the styrofoam? And the fondant ripped on the styrofoam?

Styrofoam is a little bit difficult to cover. You'll need to roll the fondant thicker than what you normally do, so that the sharp edges don't rip the fondant.
You could also cover the edges in a little bit of buttercream.

Good luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8

What did you cover the dummy with to make the fondant adhere to it? Also, how did you roll your fondant out. Did you use alot of powdered sugar when you rolled it? If so, it might be too dry. How thick are you rolling the fondant?

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 8

You also need to sand the edges of the cake dummy. I still had trouble with the edges so I guestimated where the fondant would set on the edges and rubbed shortening in that area before I put it on the dummy.
It looked a lot better, much smoother on the edges. After smoothing all the fondant on, I rubbed shortening over the whole thing and then used a lint free cloth to "polished" it off. I don't know if this is the way to go, but I was desperate and it seemed to work.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 8

I, too, suggest sanding the edges. An easy way is to use a scrap piece of styrofoam. Makes a nifty (do they use that word anymore?!) sanding block.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I haven't tried sanding the edges or anything - I just put the fondant right on the dummy. And I also rolled it normal thickness... about 1/4"

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 8

I also have rubbed styrofoam with crisco and then smooth ps on it...it seems to soften it so it stops tearing mmf hth

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 8

Definitely cover the styrofoam with a layer of crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%