What Should I Charge???

Business By melissagarron Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm by d_michelle95

melissagarron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissagarron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 25

hey just wondering what i should charge for a cake like this one? i have never made a cake with this much flowers and it is going to be alot of work not sure how much is too much, i don't want to quote her then it be way more difficult and time consuming.... what do you think??
LL

24 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 25

Can you make all of those flowers? If not, look at how much they'll cost to order. I can't see all the details on the cake but it looks like it's covered in intricate piping work too.

melissagarron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 25

never thought to order! that would be alot easier, and ya i can't see all the details either, but ya it looks like some design over the cake. how are the flowers to order?? do they ship well?? and i am in canada so i will have to check it out! thanks!!! i was thinking at least $4oo but i will have to look into ordering the flowers then i will have a better idea about cost!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 25

$400 for what? How many servings? $400 including the flowers?

melissagarron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 25

ya including flowers that was before i thought of ordering them it would have to be more if i order them...... does 400 seem to low??? i have no idea what to charge as i have never made anything like this

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 25

Servings. How many servings is the cake going to be? That's how a base price is determined, and then modified by how complex the design is.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 25

Does $400 seem low?!

icon_confused.gif

((thud)) and hits the floor (thanks leah_s)

Yes.

That looks like lace on their too.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Does $400 seem low?!

((thud)) and hits the floor (thanks leah_s)

Yes.

That looks like lace on their too.

yes 400 does seem low especially with all of those flowers! jesh those would take hours to do (at least for me!)

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 25

[quote="SJ169"]

Quote:
Quote:

Does $400 seem low?!

yes 400 does seem low especially with all of those flowers! jesh those would take hours to do (at least for me!)

Hours? Only hours to make all those flowers? Yikes! It took me a week two make 2 dozen roses!

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 25

Minimum $1,000.00 with all those flowers and lace piping. It's 4 tiers and very intricate. You can google "wholesale gumpaste flowers" and it will give you a couple places to order from. Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 25

Ok, let's try to break this down, just to get you started.

Assume it's a small cake and you are making a 6/8/10/12" cake.

According to the wilton wedding chart, this serves 12/24/38/56 = 130.

Assume a $3/serving price x 130 = $390. That's for BC. (My rate for BC is $3.50 x 130 = $455)

Fondant covered is at least $1 more per serving. Add another $130 + $390 = $520.

The price TOTALLY depends on how many servings you are planning to make and what size cakes you are planning to use. The size of the cakes in the pic is immaterial .... the size of the cakes you use is what you go by.

I guestimate about 20 "sets" of flowers on that cake, plus some filler. A quick ( and I mean QUICK) browsing of an online supplier costs, plus markup (you never do pass-thru pricing, meaning if it costs you $25, you charge MORE than $25!) and I would add AT LEAST $250 JUST for the flowers.

I dont' normally charge for design, but if that design work is as intricate as I think it is, I'd add an add'l fee for that. Hand cramp pain is not funny.

So waht are we up to .... $750 range?

And there is never such as thing as "too much". If you give a price thinking it's "too much", then you have no confidence in your own work. And if YOU aren't confident the value of your work, how do you expect to sell the value of your work to OTHER people?

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 25

You are probably looking at $400 + just for the cake.

How long would it take to make you flowers? Multiply the time to make times your hourly wage + cost of wires, gumpaste, wire tape, dusting powders. Add THAT to the price of your cake.

If you go the purchase route, add the cost of the flowers + shipping + the cost of the cake.

HTH

Paul

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #13 of 25

Complete ditto to Debi... $400 is WAY too low.

Your #1 priority is to find out how many servings they need. #2... If you are going to make all of those flowers by hand you would be charging MORE than if you were to buy them.

This would be a $1000+ cake coming from me.

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

#2... If you are going to make all of those flowers by hand you would be charging MORE than if you were to buy them.

excellent point ... my numbers were based on buying the flowers. making them is DEFINITELY a higher cost!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #15 of 25

" (you never do pass-thru pricing, meaning if it costs you $25, you charge MORE than $25!)"

Just curious as to why? Is it for the time it takes to order it via internet or phone? Or is there another reason? I probably would have charged what I paid for the flowers. Glad I came across this thread.

(Sorry I don't mean to hijack it.)

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

" (you never do pass-thru pricing, meaning if it costs you $25, you charge MORE than $25!)"

Just curious as to why? Is it for the time it takes to order it via internet or phone? Or is there another reason? I probably would have charged what I paid for the flowers. Glad I came across this thread.

(Sorry I don't mean to hijack it.)

no, it's a good question. Just like decorating a cake, there is the time/labor element to consider. Plus it is a SERVICE you are providing.

Many on here are going to read what I'm about to say and think "oh, well, I don't have a business that big." Well, actually, neither do I, but you have to THINK like a business and these are the things to consider.

When you order a supply, there is a cost for the purchasing person to issue the PO (cost of the paper for the PO or the computer time for an electronic PO; cost of the payroll to pay the purchasing guy to look up the item, contact the supplier, place the order).

Supply is delivered and must be recorded and received by the receiving dept, placed into inventory and maintained by the inventory clerk. When the invoice comes in, it goes to the payables dept, where the invoice is entered, then in 30 days a check must be issued to pay for the item. If you've ordered a large case, this is taking up space and anyone on here who is paying rent for a kitchen knows that space is money! A 24" square box takes up 2 square ft which is costing me $25/month. Every month that box sits there, it's costing me $25 in the space it takes up. It's a real cost.

All of this payroll must be covered, all of this time must be covered, all of these expenses must be covered. It's TIME that you are paying for.

Now the reality is that it takes me 5 minutes to order online and when UPS comes to the door, I take the package and it's pretty much done. But I'm thinking ahead ... I'm pricing things they way they will be .... much like we suggest to home bakers and those just starting out to price their cakes high NOW becasue customers wont' accept a higher pirce later. You have to think like a business. There is a cost to handling things. Charge for this service.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #17 of 25

Never thought of it that way. It's a good point. Thank you for explaining it to me. I see I still have a LOT to learn....and here I thought I knew everything already! icon_wink.gif lol

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #18 of 25

math correction icon_twisted.gif : a 24x24" box is 2ft x 2ft = 4 square feet, not 2 sq ft, so that box is costing me about $45-$50 month in space.

melissagarron Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:20am
post #19 of 25

wow thanks for the info!! i just have never done a cake with this much flowers on it.... and i haven't accepted the job yet she just sent me the pic and asked approx what the charge would be so i definately would have to talk to her more to come to a better pricing but your info is greatly appreciated!!

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:35am
post #20 of 25

It is a stunning cake and don't short yourself. More than once I have and i completely regret it. You have to figure out the number of servings and sizes of pans you are using, then all the cost of the cake, fillings, buttercreams, fondant and flowers. It will surprise you. Also, see about delivery and charge accordingly for that. It is horrible to work on something for a couple weeks only to break even or make $10. I am only doing cakes now if they make it worth my while. Hope that helps.

Sarah

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #21 of 25

Lovely cake. However, like the others have said, dont undercharge.

Great information, Deb!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 25

Nooooooo 400 seems Juuuust about right. Did you look at that cake? That cake as it stands will take 30 hr of just baking, torting, stacking, wrapping, whatever time. Sure 400 is JUUUUUUST about right.

Mike

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Nooooooo 400 seems Juuuust about right. Did you look at that cake? That cake as it stands will take 30 hr of just baking, torting, stacking, wrapping, whatever time. Sure 400 is JUUUUUUST about right.

Mike

*narf* icon_lol.gif

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #24 of 25

Great information on the pricing...it's helpful to see how some of you walk through it.

What happened? Did you give a quote and make the cake?

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 25

Just to add alittle to Deb's thoughts.... My opinion is even if you don't have other employees doing all those steps along the way for you, well then consider yourself all those employees in one and get paid for the work you do. You wouldn't go into a 9-5 job and not get paid for bits and pieces of things you did throughout the day becasue they didn't average those costs in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%