How To Combine 2Nd Birthday Cake And Christmas Celebration?

Decorating By GeordieMum Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 12:02pm by Cristi-Tutty

GeordieMum Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to this forum and to cake decorating in general. I love baking though and I guess this is where my passion started.

Anyways, I have a dear friend coming over tonight as I said I would help her with her invitations for a Christmas / 2nd Birthday party for her son, which is happening in December. I was thinking I would also like to offer to do her a cake for the celebration also. Except, I have no idea how I would combine a cake celebrating the two events, unless I did two separate cakes (which I am more than happy to do!!). Do any of you more experienced 'cakers' out there have any ideas or suggestions?

The party is for approximately 70-80 guests and I was thinking I would like to do a three-tier cake. Perhaps I can somehow incorporate the xmas colours on the cake, but still make it cute for the little boy?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so glad I found this website, it has been such a wonderful resource as I start down the path of cake decorating.

Best wishes to all,
Geordie x icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, Geordie!

What if you did Christmas icons like stockings and presents all over and on them you could put #2s and spell out the child's name on them?

Just a thought.

bubblecakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 10

I would consider doing the two separate cakes, one for Christmas and one for the birthday. I have friends who have birthdays near Christmas, an they never like their birthday as a combined celebration. I know he's only two, but I'm still sure he would love a special cake just for him - maybe considerably smaller than the Christmas one to serve the majority?

But if you were to combine - what comes to my mind is a christmassy animal (first thing I thought of was a penguin in a santa hat), holding a present with a happy birthday tag on it (gumpaste perhaps).

Hope that helps, and good luck with what sounds like a fun project!

Melnick Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 10

I also think 2 cakes is probably the way to go. My niece has birthday 4 days after Christmas and my sister goes to great lengths to separate the two events. Just check with the Mum - it might not bother her at all.

If she doesn't mind, I would probably do a Polar Express type thing. Two year olds love trains. You could have it travelling through a winter wonderland.

Or you could it base it on this cake and use Christmas colours with snowflakes and other little Christmas symbols worked into it . Actually, you could even just leave the Christmas symbols off and just use Christmas colours (I would consider blue, white and silver or red and green) to have the subtle hint of Christmas worked in but have it predominately as the birthday cake.

GeordieMum Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 10

Thanks so much Melnick, I like the idea of the train cake and perhaps incorporating the xmas colours.

Thanks again for the ideas! Hopefully the Mother likes the idea too icon_smile.gif

Geordie x

Jaimelt76 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #6 of 10

I would also do 2 cakes. My daughters birthday is the 18th. of December and we go to great lengths as well to seperate them. When my daughter was turning 2 she was in love with snowmen so we did that theme.

MJoycake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #7 of 10

Yes, my own birthday is in the first week of Jan., so having had a bday so close to Christmas, when my daughter was born on December 26th I vowed to always make her birthday a separate celebration from Christmas. I'd do the two cakes...lots of people here have given you great suggestions already. I think the train idea is really cute!

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 10

It may not bother him now, but being that I'm a 2 days after Christmas girl, I will say DO NOT combine them if you do them in the future. You're birthday is your birthday! Kids in the summer get a separate cake & so should kids born on or near holidays! Since I share my bday w/ my mom she understood I needed a separate bday cake/party so I always had one, but other people always got cheap & combined presents--and not like they spent more & a kid takes note (sometimes people suck!)

So, after that little bit of info....If you & the mom are wanting to combine the cake into one & you like the train idea I love the "ramp" cakes. A train going down the "mountain" w/ the boy in the engine w/ a 2 on the front, maybe a polar bear, penguin, snowman in a couple of carts & a Christmas tree bringing up the caboose. One thing you might consider even if you combine the cakes is to have a jumbo cupcake decorated just for the little boy. Trust me, he'll feel special & be on top of the world b/c he has his own cake.

GeordieMum Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 11:06am
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone for your kind responses, suggestions and ideas.

Just had a meeting with the Mum and we've decided to go with a birthday cake celebrating the little man's birthday and not incorporate the xmas theme at all.

The birthday boy is a huge fan of thomas the tank engine so I'm going to look at doing a three-tier birthday cake with thomas incorporated into it.

Thanks again for all your help. Wish me luck!

Geordie x

Cristi-Tutty Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 10

Good luck! please put pictures when you finish!

Quote by @%username% on %date%