Opinions On Bubble Tea Straws

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm by chelleb1974

TheBlonde Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 36

I have a cake due saturday, 12" round on bottom with 8" round of top castle cake. I've always used dowels before but I am so sick and tired of trying to cut them so I bought 4 packages of bubble tea straws. Who has used these before? Any advise for using them? TIA

35 replies
impala Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 36

After reading responses on other threads about the success they have had with bubble straws and I also was tired of cutting dowel rods tried them and love them to pieces. I stacked a 10, 8 and 6 inch cake and transported on a 40 minute ride and never moved. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 36

I love them for two tiers and smallish three tier cakes.

imakecakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 36

Love them!!! I still use a wooden skewer or 2 down through the center of all tiers though.

baycheeks1 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 36

I use them...they work well for me and rather inexpensive...I like them!

Malakin Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 36

Totally love them. Every cake I've done, including the 4 tiers in my pics, I've used them. Easy, inexpensive. I still use wooden dowel through the middle.

Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 36

We were able to purchase straws from Panera Bread which are very similar to the bubble tea straws.

Paul

icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 36

lurvely.. couldn,t have said it any better.. 2 tier and small 3 tier.. .

oicuneedacake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:49am
post #9 of 36

I live in a remote part of the usa that it is not near anything that has cake supplies besides walmart and that is very limited... I was wondering where I can get the starws that everyone is raving about... Please Help..
Thanks icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

lurvely.. couldn,t have said it any better.. 2 tier and small 3 tier.. .

thumbs_up.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:07am
post #12 of 36

I, too, am in love with bubble tea straws. They are light weight, incredibly strong, easy to cut and remove and inexpensive, to boot. I had never heard of them until purchasing Sharon Zambito's video on stacking cakes. Like the others who have posted before me, I drive a final center dowel thru all layers and have never had a problem with transporting. I just googled bubble tea and all kinds of sites came up. (I didn't even know what bubble tea was, and really, still don't). There you can compare costs and order your best buy. You will love them.

sugarshack Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #13 of 36

LOVE LOVE THEM!

SugarFrosted Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:30am
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I, too, am in love with bubble tea straws. They are light weight, incredibly strong, easy to cut and remove and inexpensive, to boot. I had never heard of them until purchasing Sharon Zambito's video on stacking cakes. Like the others who have posted before me, I drive a final center dowel thru all layers and have never had a problem with transporting. I just googled bubble tea and all kinds of sites came up. (I didn't even know what bubble tea was, and really, still don't). There you can compare costs and order your best buy. You will love them.

Bubble tea is tea prepared with giant pearl tapioca in it... the straw is big to suck the tapioca up.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:51am
post #15 of 36

does anyone know if any store sells them? where do you guys get them?

milkmaid42 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:53am
post #16 of 36

Wow, Sugarfrosted...That's a visual I almost don't want to entertain. Love big pearl tapioca pudding...but sucking them down the gullet?....I guess it is popular for there are lots of sources for the straws. Hope the trend stays for the sake of the straws!

SugarFrosted Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:21am
post #17 of 36

I don't care for tapioca so I have not had any Bubble tea, but as I understand, the tapioca is sucked up and chewed.

(Yuck from me!) Bleh icon_razz.gif

Here's what it looks like:
LL

CakeDiosa Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:50am
post #18 of 36

I like them, however, I have yet to be able to cut them level AND I have Sharon's DVD and have tried her method with the sewing gauge, etc. I tried to cut them on my miter saw but they just frayed and there is no way I can get them straight with scissors. They come with the ends uneven so you have to cut them even and that is one thing I just can't seem to do - at all - so I'm back to wooden dowels because I can cut those on my miter saw and get them all the exact same length with ease. Anyone have any tips for that???

PattyT Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:51am
post #19 of 36

I use them too - they're so much easier to work with. I don't make big giant stacked cakes though - just small ones.

Also, they showed a quick scene on Ace of Cakes with Geoff snipping a group of them level to the cake..so I figured if it's good enough for them....

Buy them on eBay.

Lee15 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #20 of 36

You can also find them at any Asian supermarket.

zdebssweetsj Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #21 of 36

Thanks for the Panera Bread tip we have one locally I will try there. Even though the straws are cheap on e-bay the shipping sure is high for something so light weight.

cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #22 of 36

I don't know if I just don't use them properly or what, but I had a couple of bad experiences with them. No way, no how. Not me. =o)

Loucinda Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 36

I have used them for 2 years now, with no problems.

If you are having trouble cutting them, you must not have sharp scissors. They are a dream to cut and get even for me. (If you watch the Ace of Cakes, you can sometimes see them just snipping them right in the cake! - I am not that brave)

milkmaid42 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 36

My cakes are generally no shorter than 4" so I can get only one support out of one straw. I measure the depth first, mark the straw, and cut with not even particularly sharp scissors. One end of the straw already comes flat, so I use that end for my support. The scissored end is fairly even. My biggest problem is searching the kitchen floor afterward for all the pointy pieces that have flown everywhere. The second problem is trying to find a use for all those too-short pointy pieces I have collected cuz I'm too cheap to throw them away! (There just must be some kind of project I will find to make me glad I saved them?!)

momg9 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #25 of 36

What is the largest cake anyone has done using bubble tea straws?

tatorchip Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

My cakes are generally no shorter than 4" so I can get only one support out of one straw. I measure the depth first, mark the straw, and cut with not even particularly sharp scissors. One end of the straw already comes flat, so I use that end for my support. The scissored end is fairly even. My biggest problem is searching the kitchen floor afterward for all the pointy pieces that have flown everywhere. The second problem is trying to find a use for all those too-short pointy pieces I have collected cuz I'm too cheap to throw them away! (There just must be some kind of project I will find to make me glad I saved them?!)

I use them to support rkt as in my phote of the baseball cap and ball on sheet cakes

I also use the short ones for playing with my grandson we use them with play dough and make whatever comes to his 3 year old mine lol he has so much fun and so do I, trucks are alway carring them around also his logs lol

CakesByLJ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

What is the largest cake anyone has done using bubble tea straws?

I just took a class with Mike McCarey, and he uses them with 4 tier wedding cakes ALL the time.. never had a problem... icon_razz.gif I love them myself too... icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #28 of 36

Here is the biggest one I have done so far with them - 4 tiers - not a problem!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408710

sugarshack Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:09am
post #29 of 36

4 tiers

luvmysmoother Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #30 of 36

Three tiers but I've never done a four tier yet (will do a four tier at the end of the month but am planning to use those gigantic Wilton plastic dowels - don't want to leave anything to chance) I LOVE bubble tea straws - cheap and easy - I have no idea how people use wooden dowels actually - they look so skinny and difficult to cut to size. I should try them once or twice before making comparisons thoughicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%