Separate Phone, Google Voice, Distinctive Ring?

Business By cakelady99 Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 4:52am by Monkess

cakelady99 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 11

If you work from a rented kitchen with no phone line, what is the best way to handle business calls? A business-only cell phone line, just answering, distinctive ring feature? Does anyone have Google Voice?

10 replies
bbmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 11

I would assign all my friends and family their own ring, then all business calls would come into my cell phone on the default ring...

Toptier Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 11

I use Google Voice, it's an awesome, free service. You get to pick your own number and you can have your calls transferred to any phone you want, they can all ring at the same time if you want them too. You can also have it set to not ring any of your phones and have it go straight to voicemail, which is what I do, then answer the calls at my leisure. One cool feature is that it transcribes your message into written messages. Most of them aren't very accurate, but you can also playback the message from your computer or phone. Did I mention that it's free, another amazing service from the folks at Google.

cylstrial Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 11

I have a google voice too. It's really nice. The only thing that I don't like (and this might just be a setting that I need to change) is that the caller has to say their name before they can speak to me.

blessedist Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 11

At 1 point i had the yahoo voice. I think it's free for incoming calls and very cheap if you'd like to make outgoing calls from your #

CakeForte Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 11

Google voice is still in beta testing. Not available unless you have an invite.

cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Google voice is still in beta testing. Not available unless you have an invite.

Yes - if anyone is interested, you might want to sign up quite early. I had to wait a month or two to get an invite.

mommicakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 11

Both my DH & I use Skype. That is what I use for my business phone. As long as my computer is on and connected to the internet, (anywhere in the world) people can call me and talk business. I have a phone for my laptop, my desktop, and can also forward calls to any phone I choose anywhere!!! It is great. I pay $90.00 per year for my phone number, and no phone bills. I love Skype. I have even set up my parents, daughter, son, and the inlaws across the country. It is awesome, we can even do video calls and IM CHATS. thumbs_up.gif

lilthorner Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:49am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I have a google voice too. It's really nice. The only thing that I don't like (and this might just be a setting that I need to change) is that the caller has to say their name before they can speak to me.

I just got google voice.. what you are talking about is call presentation and you can turn it off.. the only think about turning it off is that when someone calls it shows your google voice number and it goes to the vm of the number its forwarded to. if you have call presentation on, they have to announce themselves and it will go to the google voice voice mail.

mageliza Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 11

You can get a Google Voice invite on eBay or they're giving one away for free next week here:http://tinyurl.com/yjfh6vb

Monkess Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #11 of 11

Skype rules...call quality is amazing, especially if you buy a good headset w/ a mic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%