Image Transfer To Fondant Using Light Box & Ink Pen

Decorating By metria Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 1:24am by Ursula40

metria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to share with yall a technique I came up with for transferring an image to fondant. The cake I was making was supposed to look like the invitations for my friend's upcoming wedding. The template image was pretty intricate, so I didn't want to just free-hand it. I needed a way to outline it thinly then go back and fill in the colors later with a paintbrush. I constructed a make-shift light box and traced my template with an ink pen.

It's a craft pen, like those old-timey ones that has a metal head that you dip into ink. I cleaned it out, then loaded with vodka mixed with food coloring. I traced this on to a square of ivory fondant that dried for about a day. Press lightly with the tip of the pen or it will scrape the fondant.

The light box was just a plastic bin with a small lamp inside and piece of glass on top. I placed the template on the glass, then the fondant on top of the template.

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

Yep, been doing this for a long time. It's pretty effective. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 7

Can you make those pix smaller? They're so large that half the words are cut off. Great idea by the way! icon_biggrin.gif

metria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 7

done! sry, I run high resolution on my work monitor so I don't realize when things won't normally fit.

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 7

Oh yes that's much better!! Thanks!!

So tell me, I have a dinky light box from Michaels, how much do one of these big ones cost and where can you get them?

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 7

icon_redface.gif Ooops! I just read the words -- asked and answered! (pay no attention to me...) icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Ursula40 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

I use a rectangular pyrex bowl (upside down) with a bright LED light underneath, like the touch ones you can stick to stairs at night

Quote by @%username% on %date%