How Do I Get This Texture?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm by rainbow_kisses

smitakasargod Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 16

I want to make a cake with a fondant bow that has a corduroy texture. Could somebody please give me some ideas? I tried using the side of a ruler but that's too time consuming and not even enough.

15 replies
tatorchip Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 16

Try using actual corduroy and press it on. I got that tip using lace. You could pass it through a pasta machine also with the corduroy. HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 16
Kitagrl Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 16

I have a ridged impression mat I got in a pack sold for using with clay.

Tee-Y Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 16

I use a ribbed rolling pin and before I got that I used to use a ribbed piece of copper curtain rail if you can lay your hands on it-very cheap.

tatorchip Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

I use a ribbed rolling pin and before I got that I used to use a ribbed piece of copper curtain rail if you can lay your hands on it-very cheap.

I never thought of that, sounds like a great idea, I will have to check out the attic, I wonder what else I could find there to use on fondant, thanks

sugalips Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 16

You can also make interesting designs by putting rubber bands on your rolling pin.

smitakasargod Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 16

Thank you all so so much!! What wonderful ideas....will definitely use the tips.

Tee-Y Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:

I never thought of that, sounds like a great idea, I will have to check out the attic, I wonder what else I could find there to use on fondant, thanks

icon_lol.gif You'll be surprised at what you'll find!!!!Search for the topic ''CHEAP CAKERS POST HERE'' in the cake decorating forum and you'll see lots of ideas for alternative use of everyday tools in cake decorating.

tatorchip Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks Tee-Y

ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 16

Go knock off a bit of VENTILATOR HOSE!! yep - that stuff that keeps people breathing in hospital LOL !!!!

Stick it on a length of wooden rod and .... woo hoo !!

Fantastic new ribbed roller !! - PERFECT for beginnings of smocking as well

Tee-Y Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 16

You are welcome tatorchip!Glad to be of help!! icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 16

have you seen these moulds for Grosgrain ribbon package bows?

http://www.decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Molds&Sub=34&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=100

Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gif You'll be surprised at what you'll find!!!!Search for the topic ''CHEAP CAKERS POST HERE'' in the cake decorating forum and you'll see lots of ideas for alternative use of everyday tools in cake decorating.

Isn't it amazing how many "tools" you have to come up with on your own....

Tee-Y Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't it amazing how many "tools" you have to come up with on your own....

Oh yeah! Or else you'll end up spending so much money on tools you might not get much use out of!

rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 16

you could also check out http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655799-.html there is loads of odd things in there

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%