Baseball Cap

Decorating By happybee Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 12:14pm by Loucinda

happybee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 13

Thank heavens for this website - can anyone advise me as to how to go about making a baseball cap cake for my husbands 50th? I am kinda jumping into the deep end here but so want to do this for him.
Any and all advise would be most welcome.
Thanks
Bee

12 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 13

On my photos I have a pic of a cake that I made a ball cap for, I used ricekrispy treats that I formed in a bowl for the cap then used gumpaste to make the brim, covered in marshmallow fondant then hand painted the logo on it. You could do something like that on a sheet, or get an oven safe bowl that is shaped like the cap part and bake cake in that and use gumpaste for the brim.

happybee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you so much for your response and what a great idea about making the base of the cap from rice krispies. I have much to learn .... icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 13

I am going to attempt one this week also - I want it to be cake though, so I am stacking 3 -8" layers together and carving them. I am going to make the brim out of 50/50 - and form it over a saran wrapped covered actual hat to make it take the shape I want. Send good cake vibes my way please!

happybee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 13

Good vibes coming your way --- good luck and can't wait to see the results icon_wink.gif I have until Thanksgiving to get my Mojo on.

MyDiwa Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 13

If you have the money, Elisa Strauss's Confetti Cakes for Kids has a baseball cap cake with detailed instructions in it. It's basically baking several layers of round cake and then carving it into the shape of a cap. You'd use gumpaste to make the brim and leave it to dry over like a paper towel roll to give it that curved look. And then attach it to the cake. If I dont make sense pm me. I have the book.

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

If you have the money, Elisa Strauss's Confetti Cakes for Kids has a baseball cap cake with detailed instructions in it.

I'm pretty sure you can check this book out at the library.

I made a small one where I baked the cake in a stainless steel bowl, carved creases in it and covered in fondant, used 50/50 fondant /gumpaste to make the bill.

Good Luck!

tigerhawk83 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 13

I think the Wilton Sports Ball pan instruction sheet has instructions for making a baseball cap - you just bake 1 half of the pan rather than both halves. This would be a modestly small cake as 1 cake mix fills both halves, but you get the nice round top and flat bottom for the body of the cap.

Loucinda Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 13

I have the bill made and it is drying as we speak. His favorite hats are the ones that look "frayed" so I took an exacto knife and kind of "shredded" the edge of the bill in several places.....so far so good! I will be baking the cake on Sunday - stil haven't decided on that now, 3 -8" or the pyrex bowl (don't have a stainless one).

MJoycake Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 13

sounds like you have a great start! I made mine with the Wilton ball pan...just made one half. Then I had a large thick cardboard tube...like the kind that wrapping paper comes around, but really big - came from a roll of industrial shrink wrap. But I cut part of that and bent it a bit flatter, covered it in a thin layer of corn syrup so it was sticky, then covered it in the fondant that matched the rest of the hat. Best of luck with it!

happybee Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 13

You guys are awesome, thank you; making notes and I'm excited to start experimenting. Cannot wait to see your cake finished Loucinda icon_smile.gif Cupcakemkr - love your Red Sox cake. Go Sox!

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks happybee - Good luck with your cake!
Since the Sox are out icon_cry.gif ... I have to say Go Angels!! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:14pm
post #13 of 13

I am very happy with how mine turned out! I ended up using a 7" and a 6" and carved them into the shape I needed (I actually had 2 -6" ready to use, but it didn't look right!) I did the stitching and texturing on the fondant before putting it on the cap. It looked REAL!! My SIL was thrilled with it. You can't see it very well, but I "frayed" the edge of the bill with an exacto knife too.

Here is the finished product:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1502331&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%