What Goes Under The Cake Layers?

Decorating By justbyangela Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm by kakeladi

justbyangela Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 6

This may sound like a silly question, however I'm new and I need all the help I can get so please bare with me! icon_biggrin.gif

What exactly do you put under each cake tier? I bought a pack of about 5 cake boards. Do I cover these in aluminum/wax paper? Or is it something else under each of the tiers? I am making a two tiered cake and I have a base for the bottom tier. I am just wondering what I would do for the top tier? Would I just place it on the bottom tier without anything under it or do I need to place it on top of a cake board as well?

5 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 6

You want to place the top tier of cake on a cake board. You should also have some kind of supports that go into the bottom tier to keep the top tier from sinking in to the bottom.

Here are wiltons instructions for stacking a cake:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Good luck and welcom to cc!

mom2abc Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 6

I put the top tier on a cake board the same size. Before I put it on the other cake, I put dowels in to support the weight. Then I just put the other cake on top. I'm not sure if that's right but I haven't made many tiered cakes. I'm new-ish too.

TitiaM Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

just a plain cake board will do--you don't need to cover it in anything. Then bubble tea straws, or whatever you are going to use as supports underneath the top tier.

confectioneista Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

Check out SPS (Single Plate Support) - it's easy and the best way to stack a cake IMHO. There is a sticky about it in the "how-to" forum section. Each tier needs a cake board under it to support it, just like cupcakemkr said. You can buy pre-cut cardboard cake boards from Wilton or you can cut your own to size and shape using foamcord, which is what a lot of us do. Foamcord is extremely sturdy and lightweight and won't buckle under the weight of a cake like cardboard does. Many of us cover the foamcoard in "Press 'n Seal" wrap before placing the cake on it.

Your bottom board, the one that the final cake sits on to make it look presentable, etc. can be covered in a special foil specifically for cake boards (comes in gold and silver mainly) or you can cover the board in fondant to make the rest of the cake. The around the edges you can wrap a pretty ribbon around it finish the look. I would suggest getting a how-to cake decorating book with basic instructions in it to help you out. HTH and welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 6

I prefer to cover every cake board I use. That covering can be 'regular' household foil; freezer paper; foil or mylar wrapping paper; a plastic tablecloth; or any other item you can think of that will not soak up grease &/or moisture icon_smile.gif

I never put a cake directly on any cake board w/o covering it 1st.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%