Seriously, How Is It Done?? Is There Some Trick?

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 1:35pm by FromScratch

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 43

I've tried carving cakes similar to these before & well, they both turned out terrible. Is there a secret to getting it to look perfect or even somewhat like them? I tried looking for a tutorial, but can't seem to find one. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to carve either one of these? It seems so simple, right? But I just cannot get mine to even resemble a nice carved cake.
LL
LL

42 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 43

The 2nd one looks like Macsmom. Have you tried pm'ing the person who made the cakes?

I THINK these are diffrent sizes..smaller, medium and large..well not like that but you get what I'm saying.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 43

I know that you can bake, for example a 6, an 8 and a 10, stack and trim so the sides are even.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 43

Do you mean the tapered sides? I do graduated layers. For example: one layer of each 6-7-8, filled stacked on top of each other, chilled, then carve the sides upside down (8" at bottom) to get your slant, flip up and finish decorating. I Know a lot of people just make all the same layers and carve away to get the tapered look. But I find that doing graduated layers not only saves on waisting cake, but it also kind of gives you a guide as it is stacked tapered.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 43

Yes, what LaBella said, NOT a 6/8/10. a 6/7/8/ combo.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 43

LaBellaFlor--See you always know what I am trying to say! LOL Your version is allot better than my small medium large! LOL

I think I had WAY to much coffee.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Do you mean the tapered sides? I do graduated layers. For example: one layer of each 6-7-8, filled stacked on top of each other, chilled, then carve the sides upside down (8" at bottom) to get your slant, flip up and finish decorating. I Know a lot of people just make all the same layers and carve away to get the tapered look. But I find that doing graduated layers not only saves on waisting cake, but it also kind of gives you a guide as it is stacked tapered.

I learn something new everyday love it thanks

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

LaBellaFlor--See you always know what I am trying to say! LOL Your version is allot better than my small medium large! LOL

I think I had WAY to much coffee.

Lol! And I don't think I've had enough coffee! dunce.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 43

Chill the cake, that's important for me. I also use a 6" board on the small cake and a 8" board on the large cake and use that as a guide for the knife. A nice serrated bread knife works best for me.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 43

Cold cake cuts cleaner and try putting the cake upside down to carve it.

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 43

perfect timing, I'm doing this tonight!
thanks! thumbs_up.gif

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Cold cake cuts cleaner and try putting the cake upside down to carve it.

Indeed, carving it upside down works very well.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 43

And I'm doing one next week! This information was so timely. I asked for help carving tapered tiers last week, and someone did jump in, but this information on using the different sized layers is great to know!

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 43

I would like to know how the long loopy bits on top are attached to the cake. Are the fondant loops dried, and then just poked into the cake to stand tall?

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 43

Do you mean the bow on top? Each loop is made individually. Now as far as putting together, I think it looks much neater to glue them together with edible glue. It takes longer but is so much nicer looking. And yes, I have seen people stick them into a ball of buttercream on top of the cake to hold together. Much easier, but not as nice looking as what you see above.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 43

ok! thanks labellafor!

musselmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musselmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 43

LaBellaFlor, What is edible glue?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 43

you make edible glue with water and a piece of gumpaste that you dissolve in the water. keeps in fridge for weeks

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #19 of 43

you can also make edible glue by mixing 1 part tylo powder to 30 parts water ( I use half a teaspoon of tylo powder) it will not look like it's mixed in at first but give it 24 hours and it's a lovely gloopy glue that will stick anything and lasts weeks in an airtight container. I love the cakes are they off cc?

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 43

Thanks for all of the helpful tips ladies!!!

Yes, they are from CC ((not sure who made them,sorry))... I just love them both!

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #21 of 43

Edible glue is whatJ ustDarling & Patticakesnj said. Those are both ways to make it. I use just tylose and water. And I'm pretty sure the square cake is Macsmom's cake.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #22 of 43

There are two videos available on the market to help you: First is by Sugarshack and the second is by Lindy Smith (I believe both are available at GSA.)

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

I've tried carving cakes similar to these before & well, they both turned out terrible. Is there a secret to getting it to look perfect or even somewhat like them? I tried looking for a tutorial, but can't seem to find one. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to carve either one of these? It seems so simple, right? But I just cannot get mine to even resemble a nice carved cake.

I don't carve mine....I use three layers, each one an inch larger than the next....like an 8, 9 and 10. I just crumb them thickly enough to even the sides out, then ice them....it helps to insert about 4 of those bamboo skewers down through the layers and into the board while icing the sides to keep them from moving since the cake is a bit top heavy.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 43

But how do you get the right angle ( using graduated sizes)?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Yes, this is how I do it too.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #26 of 43

wow...I love those cake...thanks for the tips...

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #27 of 43

Thank you for the tips, I always wondered how it was done.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

But how do you get the right angle ( using graduated sizes)?

This diagram may help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1496199.html

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #29 of 43

Thanks, Jeff!

Hey, how does one cut and serve a three-layer cake? Do you just slice through all three layers?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #30 of 43

IF it's for carving an even slant, I think I saw someone stack the cakes and if it was an 8" square at the top that tapers to a 6" at the base, they got a 6 " cardboard template, flipped the cake over and carved from the smaller to the edge of the cake evenly on all sides. Then they frosted, etc.

I'm sorry if this was not what you are talking about. I absolutely LOVE the look of these cakes and want to try one! So cute.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%