Arrgghh!! Just Need To Vent!!

Decorating By aundron Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm by aundron

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 16

Okay, people and this pricing, tasting, issue.

I had a potential customer call me about wrestling ring cake; with 2 wrestlers in it (toys) for 25 people. I quoted her 100.00 (yes, too low) because she is an acquaintance. Now, before I quoted the price, I ASKED her what her budget was (I always ask this question), but she said she didn't have one and just give her the price.

So today, (after I've sent her different styles and prices of cakes) I get a text saying, "Thank you for taking time to talk about the cake, however, 100.00 is a lot for a cake that I can't get a tasting for. I've had past experiences with cakes that are pretty and costly, but don't taste good."

My policy is; I only do tastings for wedding cakes and large party cakes (100 servings and up). Something just tells me that she is just being a tight wad!!

Anyway, just needed to vent!! Thanks for listening!!

15 replies
ccr03 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 16

I had someone like that once. She honestly emailed me like 10 times for a sailboat cake for 30 people. She wanted a tasting and asking me what my opinions were on all these different icings. I hate lying to customers, but I told her I had a paid order come in and was no longer available to do it.

I forgot to add - she EMAILED me and then asked for my Web site. I ALWAYS have the two next to each. She wasn't a referral from my regular customers so she had to have found me online.

Even though I would have loved to do it - forget it!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 16

Has she never had any of your cakes or knows anyone that has had any of your cakes?

$100 can be a big purchase for some people. I hate spending more than $20 on one item. I mean I will do it if I really feel it is worth it, but it takes some talking into me.

You could reply back telling her you only do free tasting on cakes over $xxx.xx or abc servings and that you can supply her with a small cake with the flavor of her choice for a small fee. But chances are if the $100 is too much for her, then she isn't gonna go with paying for a taster cake.

I think I would simply reply back with a "Thank you for your honesty, I hope you do keep me in mind for future orders."

sadsmile Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 16

Hello Olive Garden I want to make a reservation for 15 people. How much do you think that will cost? Gosh that is a lot I think I will need to come in a taste test to see if we will like it before I spend that kind of money. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Has she never had any of your cakes or knows anyone that has had any of your cakes?

$100 can be a big purchase for some people. I hate spending more than $20 on one item. I mean I will do it if I really feel it is worth it, but it takes some talking into me.

You could reply back telling her you only do free tasting on cakes over $xxx.xx or abc servings and that you can supply her with a small cake with the flavor of her choice for a small fee. But chances are if the $100 is too much for her, then she isn't gonna go with paying for a taster cake.

I think I would simply reply back with a "Thank you for your honesty, I hope you do keep me in mind for future orders."

She was referred to me by someone who has had my cakes before. Most of my business is referrals. I also sent her pictures of other cakes that would have been a little less; her response to this was, "I don't mind paying 100.00; I just want to know that it tastes good!!" Umm, lady, usually, when people refer you to someone, they are pretty content with the product they received!! I also told her, because I don't do tastings for that amount, I will be baking and if I have extra, I would make sure to get a sample to her.

My response to her was "I understand. I hope you find the cake that you want and thank you for inquiring about my cakes."

ccr03 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 16

OMg - no I hate when ppl. ask, "Are your cakes good?" I have surprisingly had this question asked more than once. Uh, of course they are good! And if they weren't do you honestly expect me to admit it!

cakesbycathy Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 16

Actually, I don't think the client is too out of line here. Taste is subjective. Just because her friend liked the flavor she had, doesn't mean she will.
Frankly, If I was going to pay $100 for a cake (and that is a lot of money for many people) I would want to taste it too before I ordered.

I think it's fine to have a tasting policy for a certain amount of servings or if it's for a wedding or whatever (I have one myself).

Why not offer to let her purchase a smaller tasting cake?

pattycakesnj Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 16

tasting for a $100 cake, are you kidding? Does the bakery let you have a tasting for $100 cake? I think not. Give me a break, you wouldn't still be in business if your cakes taste bad (and neither would the bakery)

Auryn Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 16

If she was a serious customer she would have asked to purchase a small plain cake first to see if she liked your baking, that would be totally reasonable.
but to expect a free tasting totally not.

cakemaker30 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 16

I can't even go to the bakery at the grocery store and get free cake to taste so why would she expect that from you? If you want to taste something then you need to buy it and taste it. Of course, I don't do free tastings at all. If they want a tasting then they pay for it. I'm not in the habit of working for free. I like the Olive Garden reference for this instanceicon_smile.gif I really don't know of any places that just give away free food (unless you're booking thousands of dollars for a wedding reception or something) so I never understood why people expect that from people that make cakes.

pattycakesnj Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker30

I can't even go to the bakery at the grocery store and get free cake to taste so why would she expect that from you? If you want to taste something then you need to buy it and taste it. Of course, I don't do free tastings at all. If they want a tasting then they pay for it. I'm not in the habit of working for free. I like the Olive Garden reference for this instanceicon_smile.gif I really don't know of any places that just give away free food (unless you're booking thousands of dollars for a wedding reception or something) so I never understood why people expect that from people that make cakes.

well said!!!

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Actually, I don't think the client is too out of line here. Taste is subjective. Just because her friend liked the flavor she had, doesn't mean she will.
Frankly, If I was going to pay $100 for a cake (and that is a lot of money for many people) I would want to taste it too before I ordered.

I think it's fine to have a tasting policy for a certain amount of servings or if it's for a wedding or whatever (I have one myself).

Why not offer to let her purchase a smaller tasting cake?

I guess it was odd to me because I've never thought to ask for a tasting when I've ordered cakes before and I've ordered Wal Mart cakes to custom cakes like we make. I figure they were in business for a reason and if I didn't like it; I just didn't order from them again.

I did let her know that I would be baking this week and if I had extra (and I did) I would make sure she got some. But, she ignored that, so, that's why I think it was a money thing.

KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 16

I've had people ask for a tasting for a 1/4 sheet cake order! No kidding!!! I think they just try to get what they can outta you.

Now I charge $20.00 for a tasting that is enough for 4 samplings of 4 cake and filling (4 all together) flavors and if they place an order totalling OVER $100.00 then that cost is applied to their cake............maybe you could do something like that?? If taste is THAT important to her then she'll pay

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 16

I totally believe you KHalstead!! I've had people ask before on sheet cakes; but, I tell them no and they usually order anyway!!

I'm not gonna ask the lady anything else; I love business, but, if she wants a tasting that bad; she'll find someone else.

I should have recommended her to the expensive bakeries in the city; so she can be charged for a tasting!!! icon_twisted.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 16

ccr03, there is a guy at work that asked me two weeks in a row if the cookies and brownies on my desk were any good. I so wanted to say, "of course not, that's why I brought them here to get rid of them." The second time I just said, "Oh I hope so." I mean the first time I was like okay you are new you have never had any of my stuff. The second time it was like 'really?'

Of course the cookies were so good I was told the next morning he got several handfulls first thing in the morning (before I came in). After that the other guys that work here asked me to put my stuff out of sight when I leave in the evening, so that there is some left for them. The brownies barely last two days around here, and only two days if they are out on jobs and not all in office.

And of course if my stuff was so bad why would the others put money in my tip cup.

Cathy, as I said I don't like big purchases with out thinking myself. I can totally under stand her wanting a taste, but how much money can we make giving out free cakes all the time especially for small orders. I totally understand when you are doing a wedding cake to serve 75, 100, or more people wanting to try it. But we do have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

I wouldn't take the time or use the ingredients to bake for a free tasting for a small order like that. By the time I did that it would cut into what I would make on that order in the long run.

What ever her reasons I'm glad the lady was up front and honest in the beginning, rather than placing the order then not wanting to pay the price or pushing over and over for a tasting.

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 16

TexasSugar, I probably do cakes priced in that range all the time; it would be crazy of me to do tastings for those all the time. Most people who get these cakes from me order them and pay in advance and that's it!! That's why I was adamant about not giving her the tasting; I get too many orders just like hers and have no problem with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%