Scottish Tartan Help Needed!!! (Kinda Long Sorry)

Decorating By mommicakes Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm by mommicakes

mommicakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I am in need of a Scottish tartan, but, I don't think I have the steadiness to paint it on fondant at this time. Does anyone have any ideas where I can order an edible image of a family tartan? I found a place overseas that can get it but it will be at least 2 weeks before and I don't want to cut it that close.

I may be able to print one on my own printer (but it keeps having a fit when I use it) so I don't want to depend on that.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I need it for a cake on Nov. 8. so the quicker the better.

Thanx

5 replies
janebrophy Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 6

I've been researching this for an upcoming competition cake...so far I've found 2 options, but neither of them is specific enough to recreate a family tartan....just tartan in general....
Have you seen Aine2's tutorial? She uses edible pens to draw on the pattern, they dry quickly, and I was thinking of using a ruler so my lines would be straight...
Is the piece you want to make very large?
Would you mind sharing where you were going to order one?

summernmicah99 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

Can you find the clan tartan pattern online, save it to a memory card, go to office max or staples to have them print with hi res. Then go to a walmart, albertsons or other bakery and have them print edible image for you? Alot of steps, I know, but it can be do-able! Would love to see the tartan pattern - so many variations even within the clans! Good Luck & have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

I've found tartans by doing a google search of the family name and crest, have had great sucess with this method. Various family tree and geneology sites are great sources for crests and tartans.

mommicakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the ideas, I may end up going the store bakery route if I can't get my machine to do it properly.

My design is a sash of the family tartan coming down the side of the cake like a wide ribbon would cascade down. (like a drape of fondant) icon_rolleyes.gif The cake is for a Great Aunt turning 90, so it should be decent sized (cake is 3 tiers, Scottish cookie cake more like a shortbread cookie taste/texture) I am kinda anxious and excited at the same time.

There are actually 3 family clan tartans I am trying to get printed, but only one for an immediate cake.

The place I was (and may still order from is rainbow sugarcraft uk I don't know if anyone here has used them but they have tons of cool stuff, I am going to order a couple of the cake knives they have, they are wicked. (can't tell I'm big into the Scottish traditions or anything can ya? icon_redface.gif )

I'll let you know what I find or figure out, and most certainly will post pics when I'm done.

Thanks!

janebrophy Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 6

Where I live, none of the store bakeries even have edible images....I've been thinking of investing in one, but who knows...
The other method I've been toying with is to use a chocolate transfer sheet to imprint a tartan onto the fondant drape, but the plaid transfer sheets are very rare it seems, and don't come colour specific....

mommicakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 6

i am going to try to print them today myself, and see how it will look, otherwise, DH told me to go ahead and order them and hope they get here in time.

We will see what happens. Wish me luck!!!! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%