Baking With 10" Round Cake Pans ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm by auntmamie

Mikel79 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all!

It has been awhile since I have baked with 10" round pans. Can you please help me with a question?

I placed both pans (empty) in my oven to see how much space they take up. They have about 1/2" up to 1" of space in between them, and about 1/2" of space from the sides of the oven walls. Will the cakes bake ok with this much or less of space??

I appreciate any help on this.

=)

15 replies
majka_ze Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 16

It is a hard decision - it would be ideal to use convection and place each pan on different rack, still offset.

If you can't do it - I would switch them in the middle of the baking time - one pan out, move the remaining to its place and put the other pan back. I would lower the oven temperature and bake longer, it takes care of lot of potential problems.

It can be done - I did bake with the rack filled with multiple small pans, touching each other and the walls of the oven. But you need to watch it carefully and be prepared to take one pan sooner out than the other one, if necessary.

alene Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 16

Mine does not. I have to bake them one at a time.

KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 16

I bake them 2 at a time, but my oven is uneven too......I put them in, set the timer for 12 minutes.......at the 12 min. mark I switch the cakes positions and rotate the pans half way Hope that makes sense.. Basically if you notice the outsides of your cakes that are not near eachother are baking higher......spin the cakes around so the higher portion faces the inside after 12 min. I find that after about the 15-20 min. mark the outside layer of the cake has pretty much set up in the position it's going to be in the end.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 16

I bake mine side by side and don't rotate them during cooking. I have one magic line pan and one wilton, and the magic line takes 5 minutes more than the wilton. I just have a basic electric oven, if that helps.

jamiekwebb Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 16

I do it all the time and have never had a problem.

Mikel79 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you everyone!!

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 16

I slam as many pans in the oven as will fit with the door closed. Not an issue.

pupandbon Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

my thoughts exactly - lol!!!

Suzycakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 16

Leahs

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know there was any other way than Leahs way - which is my way too!

My grandmother - who I inherited this love of baking from - taught me early on to rotate those pans as you move them from shelf to shelf. It makes them cook more even and you don't get lopsided layers either. And I know she cooked for many, many years with a woodburning oven!

Mikel79 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 16

I have read several times in this forum, when you open your oven door in the middle of the baking process this will reduce the temp. in the oven causing your cake not to rise like it should, in fact it will shirnk it.

Any truth to this???

Suzycakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 16

I'm not a scientist - nor have I attended culinary school - so take this for the 2 cents its worth:

If you continually open the oven door and keep checking the cakes (or anything else) then yes - I can see where it would alter the baking process. But opening the oven once or twice in the usual 40 minute baking time doesn't seem to bother my cakes at all.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yup, me too.

Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 16

We just turn on the oven light to check on the cakes. We fill the shelves and do NOT rotate them during baking. Haven't had a problem.

Paul

prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 16

I rotate all of my cakes during baking because my darn stove/oven doesn't sit level!

auntmamie Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 16

I put one on the top shelf, one on the bottom shelf, and rotate and switch halfway through. I have two wilton pans, but one is professional grade, and the other isn't - there is the 5 minute difference in cooking. Oh, and I use 10" parchmant circles - really helps. I have a standard electric oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%